Thursday 12 September 2019

Taking Steps

This post may be a little controversial, which I apologise for before hand. If you don't agree with what I'm saying here, please feel free not to continue reading this post or to comment in a respectful manner.  Everyone has their own view and opinion, not everyone will agree with me.

This post involves the dreaded B word, that we are all so sick of hearing, but the reality is that it looks like it is looming and there is not long to go now.  As a consequence, I have decided to take things into my own hands, and I'm sure I'm not alone in doing so. I am building a Brexit stash of food, just in case there are shortages if we do crash out without a deal.

I'll start by saying that some people may feel that my thinking on this subject is negative, and if that is the case, so be it, but the way I see it is that I am responsible for feeding my family, and if I feel there is a possibility that food may be difficult to come by after Brexit, or even just more expensive, I am quite entitled to spend my money as I wish and put away some supplies of food, just in case the worst happens.  If that makes me feel more secure, then that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

There have been comments in the press about panic buyers creating problems and suggestions that there may be a possibility of empty shelves in the supermarkets after Brexit. It is a fact that none of us know what is going to happen, so I don't consider myself to be a panic buyer, I'm a considered purchaser. I'm looking out for my family, as I'm not convinced that the powers that be both here and in Europe are currently doing this. They are so engrossed in their own political point scoring that they are leaving us feeling very insecure for a very prolonged period and I am completely fed up of it all and taking my own steps to feel more secure, whatever happens.

I created a Brexit stash earlier in the year.  I spent approximately £100 and stored away extra dry goods, tins, cartons, jars, bottled goods, etc.  Not a massive amount, but enough to keep us going for a few weeks at least, if supermarket shelves were lacking in produce. I made sure that the best before dates were as long as I could make them and just packed them in boxes in the spare bedroom.

I figured that if the worst didn't happen, which it didn't earlier this year anyway, the food could easily be eaten as we ran out of it and on many occasions that supply has saved the day, when I've realised that we didn't have an item in the cupboard that I needed for making supper. Hence, the stash was gradually eroded.

Last month, I started to build it up again and I will continue to do this until the Brexit date has been and gone. I realise that the real issue will be around fresh produce such as vegetables, fruit, milk, meat and bread, if anything, but who knows what might transpire. I just want to be prepared.

I'm not saying that anyone else should do this, and I realise that there are many people that maybe could not afford to do it either. I'm thankful to be in a position to do it.  We've had very cheap food for a very long time. Things may or may not be about to change. I personally don't see the harm in wanting to potentially soften the blow.  What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you, we have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels reassuring to know that I'm not the only person doing this.

      Delete
  2. Good for you. Taking care of your family is the right thing to do. You can't count on the government to help you in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't seem to do anything to move forward at the moment. It's all so very depressing. At least if you're doing something you feel a bit better about it all.

      Delete
  3. I have no problem with your view on this and probably should be doing the same. Being vegetarians we rely a lot on fresh vegatables for our meals which we cannot really buy in so if the worst comes to the worst we will have to grow it somehow even if it means digging up the lawn. My main concern is my thyroxine medication - going without for me for a few days would make me quite ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue. I am going to renew my prescription as close to the day as I can and ask if I can get a double supply. I doubt it though.

      Delete
  4. Taking care of your family is what you need to do. If the worst doesn't happen that is wonderful. If it does you will be prepared.

    I am doing something similar here just in case we hit a recession (looking more and more likely).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to slow down a bit, as I have no cash for it this month, but I'll stockpile a little more next month.

      Delete
  5. I see no problem with stocking your pantry at all. It doesn't sound like you're stripping the supermarket shelves bare.

    I love to have a well stocked pantry at the best of times but I am making sure I have a good balance of things so there's plenty in there to make meals should there be a wobble in supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've got a good idea there. Why is there any harm in being prepared- it's not like you are stopping anyone else from buying it. We eat many fresh vegetables so I hope there won't be too much of a problem there. I was fed up in the post office earlier where a pair of idiot men were going on about how much they dislike Europe (whilst buying euros) and talking about how there was too much immigration. I could not stop myself from tutting and getting very cross.

    ReplyDelete