Saturday 7 September 2019

A New and Exciting Challenge

Lately, I've been feeling a little stuck in a rut.  It may be that September feeling, with the start of the new academic year.  LB is starting her new Sixth Form College next week, which is exciting for, whilst I meanwhile feel like I'm stagnating fast. Work has been unrelenting and I often find myself not looking forward to going. 

When I get home from work, I'm exhausted and it takes a while to decompress. I don't always feel appreciated and my morale is at a low ebb. I know that this has been the case numerous times over the last few years, but we've been having trouble with a lot of criminal elements coming into the shop lately, and it's starting to get me down, plus I'm starting to be concerned for my personal safety.

In addition, the menopause is taking its toll on me, in that I'm gaining weight and I need something to boost my energy levels, help raise my self esteem and hopefully help me to keep my weight under control.

I've been doing the same exercise classes for years, and although I like them, because I get to meet up with friends on a weekly basis, things are changing at the gym with some people moving away and I'm starting to think that it's time I did something a little different. I will still continue to go when I can, but I need a new challenge.

For a while now, I've wanted to sign up for some Swing Dance/Lindy Hop classes locally.  There are quite a few places where it's taught in London.  I keep putting myself off by telling myself that it's for young people with more energy, but two years on and I still find myself wanting to try it. It's obviously an itch that needs scratching.

This week, as a kind of early birthday present to myself (it's my birthday next month), I finally signed up for a 5 week workshop in Jazz and Charleston solo classes with London/Brighton based company SwingPatrol. You can find out about them on their YouTube channel SwingPatrolUK or on their website. I've gone for the solo class initially, as I don't know how I feel about partnering at the moment, until I get to grips with some basic steps.  It may be something I decide to progress to later.

At £10 per class it's quite reasonable, and the classes are half an hour away on the bus. I don't know what to expect, save for what I've seen on the YouTube channel, but I'm really looking forward to starting and learning something new.  Sometimes you just have to take up a new challenge to stay sane and if I don't do it now, I may find it too energetic or difficult at some point in the future.

I feel better for making the decision and booking.  I'll let you know how it goes when I've done my first class in a couple of weeks time.  Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

  1. I am sure you will enjoy learning something new and it will be a good diversion from thinkng about the problems at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, it's so easy to just keep on doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Lindyhop and Swingdance and actually, dancing with a partner is brilliant! You most certainly aren't too old. My favourite person to dance with when we first started going was 80!! I've never been to Swing Patrol- I go to JiveSwing, A2 Jive and London Swing Dance Society.

    ReplyDelete