Saturday 7 July 2018

Another Give or Take Day and a Weekly Catchup

It's been a mixed week this week, ending on more of a down than an up, so I'm currently trying to recover my composure at home today, before I'm back at work tomorrow. 

I popped across to the allotment this morning on a mercy mission, as one of the plot holders had forgotten his key and had messaged for someone to let him into the site, if anyone was on their way there.  As we live 2 minutes away, I walked around to let him in and harvested a few things whilst I was there, namely radish, beetroot and spring onions.

There was another Give or Take event in a local park today too, so we loaded up the car and headed off to it to offload another bunch of stuff.  I'd given up counting the number of items donated, as it just got too overwhelming, I may start again now the pile of stuff has gone.



I've taken pictures of the event before.  Here's a picture from last year, as I didn't even think to take any photographs this year.  I was just so keen to get rid of the stuff that's been cluttering up the spare room.

This time around it included a large IKEA book shelf that LB didn't want in her room any longer and I just don't have space for in any other room in the house. It has sat on our landing for over a month, so it was time to go. I'm sure someone will make good use of it.

To be honest, much of the stuff I took this time wasn't the best.  It was a real mish mash of things both myself and LB have dug out over the last few months. I do, however, feel a sense of satisfaction to have purged the house of more stuff.

There's a couple of boxes left, of things to go to the charity shop.  I'd like to take them this week and be rid of them.

After dropping everything off we headed to a local bakery for a brunch of boiled eggs on toast.  Very tasty.  Followed by a stop off at Lidl on the way home, to stock up on a few essentials for the weekend.

Once back home, we're not planning on doing anything this afternoon. I might have a nap and we need to water the plot, but otherwise I'm just chilling, as I had an upsetting day at work yesterday.

Basically, the new Deputy Manager has now been appointed and the Shop Manager broached with me the subject of what his duties will be, both suggestions he put forward were things I've been doing for the past year and have worked hard on. I feel like I'm now being relieved of some duties and will be acquiring others that basically no-one else wants to do. 

I know I'm there to work and do what is necessary, and trust me I do and I will, but it very much feels like some people are allowed to cream off the jobs they want and I'm left doing the rest, whether I like it or not.  I feel a bit used and discarded, bearing in mind how much effort I've put into work in the last year to keep things running smoothly and help meet shop targets, hence why I'm feeling a bit low this weekend. I don't really know how I managed to keep it together all day at work.  I felt like I could have cried.

As a consequence, I'm currently considering my options once again. We're supposed to all be meeting up this week to discuss things, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but I'm not feeling all that optimistic.  I'll keep you posted. 

Ironically, the above happened less than an hour after I'd signed and sent off my new contract extension letter. I felt like crawling into the post box and retrieving it. Why is it that work would be easy,  if it wasn't for other people making it difficult.

I'm trying hard not to feel resentful. Please forgive me for offloading onto my blog.  I'm sure I'll feel better about it in a few days and will just knuckle down for more of the same roller coaster ride that has been the last year at work.  OH would be very happy for me to just throw in the towel and stay home, but that isn't the answer either.



 

6 comments:

  1. I think you need to listen at the meeting and then take a stand if you are going to be doing all the c**p. I am a volunteer at a charity, and the paid employees behave outrageously sometimes to each other and to the volunteers. The stealing of ideas is beyond belief and some volunteers know all about everything and others never hear anything until it’s old news. Please don’t make yourself unhappy or ill-if you do resign, make sure you let your reasons be know. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catriona. I really appreciate your comment. I guess I just need to see how it goes and try and try to get my point of view across in a calm and rational manner.

      Delete
  2. Gosh! Good luck with making your workplace more suited to your skillset and liking. Have you thought of finding another job. Sometimes our most dogged efforts are not worth the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, you know I understand. Put your own health first, it might be time to look for pastures new. The politics of working in a charity shop are a nightmare, I know !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your difficulties at work. I totally understand the situation, I've seen it time and again at charity shops. Hope things work out whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that so many commenters are saying the same thing. I think perhaps I've been a bit naïve I think. Everyone is dispensible, no matter how hard you work.

      Delete