Thursday 5 July 2018

A Summer Treat to Myself

Last week, I got the idea in my head to buy some kind of sun lounger to use in the garden.  I have to admit that I noticed that next doors had one and it reminded me of how I used to have one many years ago when we lived in a very small flat in London.  I used to take it up to the roof terrace and sun bathe on it way above the hustle and bustle of the city.

I don't actually know what happened to it, but we parted company at some point and I haven't had anything comfortable to lie on in the garden for many years.

I don't actually spend much time sitting in the garden, so I'm hoping that the sun lounger will encourage me to get out there more during this beautiful weather.  I find myself often napping indoors, but I could do this outside under a sun umbrella in the fresh air and enjoy feeling the sun on my skin. I could also lie out on the sunbed and read on my days off too.

Anyway, after scouring B&Q's website, eBay and Amazon, I finally found something to suit. I wanted something that could fold up and be put away in the shed during the winter, as our garden is just too small to accommodate a large piece of static furniture, and I also wanted something that I could lie completely flat on, that also seemed quite substantial (I'm quite a bit heavier than I was twenty years ago sadly!)



This is what I finally plumped for. It wasn't super cheap at £40 from Amazon, but hopefully it will last the course and allow me to enjoy some down time from work in the garden this summer. I've been lying on it today and I have to say it is very comfortable indeed.

I'm also thinking of buying some new camping chairs or deck chairs in the near future.  OH dragged our old camping chairs out of the shed on Saturday, so that I could take them to the beach with friends, but they were so shabby and are starting to rust, so I think I'm going to donate them to the Give and Take next week and invest in some new ones.

I'd like chairs that also fold up and can be stored easily in the shed over the winter or carried easily from the car when we're holidaying in the UK. I'm thinking either black camping chairs or plain black traditional deck chairs, which I think I favour. Nothing expensive, because we don't sit out in the garden all that much or go camping or to the beach very often, but just something practical and comfortable for when we do need them.  I'll let you know what I finally decide to buy.

One final little shopping trip that I should mention, happened on Monday this week.  I headed over to Home Bargains for the first time in weeks to stock up on some regularly used toiletries and pick up a couple of things for our holiday in a few weeks time.



Aside from the essential sun cream, I bought this sunbed organiser, it's made of lightweight towelling and jersey in a lovely hot pink, which matches my current beach towel very nicely (it is zebra print with a hot pink trim). It sits across your sun bed and should be good for keeping my phone, book, sunglasses safe and handy when we're hanging out around the pool.

There are two large waterproof pockets on one side and three smaller towelling pockets on the other. At £3.99 I thought I'd give it a go and see if it is useful. I'd seen one in a Home Bargains Haul on YouTube and thought what a good idea they were.  I was going to make one, but succumbed to the easy option of buying one.  It's lovely and light anyway, so it shouldn't take up too much weight or room in our luggage.



The second thing I bought was this inflatable ring for use in the pool at the villa. We always end up buying one, so I thought I'd get one and take it with us.  This cost just £3.99 which is a steal when you consider the hours of fun you can have with these. It's so relaxing to just lie on one and float around the pool. We always end up fighting over things like this, like big kids.  I'm hoping it's strong enough to take my weight, but we'll see. I now just need a lilo, but I may just get one in Portugal, as they can be pretty heavy to carry in luggage. There may in any case be one in the villa already.

I'm starting to feel very excited for our holiday. I  just need to decide on a few really good books to take with me. I might even start packing soon in the hope that it will make it come around a bit sooner!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea, something to hold all those things one takes to the pool.

    I have a lounge outside on the deck and haven't used it at all this summer. Your post has reminded me of this fact and I plan on getting out once the deck is painted and use it.

    Enjoy the inflatable ring.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. I'm struggling with the heat here at the moment though, it's almost too hot for me to go outside.

      Delete
  2. I don't have anything to lie on in the garden so may pinch your idea ! You will have such fun in the pool on holiday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, I need a bit of fun at the moment. I'm so looking forward to getting away.

      Delete