Wednesday 26 March 2014

The £100 Per Year Beauty Challenge - Month 9

I can't quite believe that there are now only 3 months to go on this challenge.  It seems to have gone by so fast.  Must be the old 'time flies when you're having fun' saying in action.

This month has been quite quiet on the beauty front, merely replacing a few things that have run out over the course of the month.  Just one extra purchase, which wasn't really essential, but which I was curious to try.  There's always something.  Oh, and one mistake which you'll read about in a minute.

This month I have spent the very restrained sum of £5.48 which is well under budget and takes the running total to £76.54/£100 with just 3 months remaining.  Money was spent on the following this month:

Tissues  x 15 packs of 10 - 99p
Cotton Wool Pads x 2 packs of 50 - £1
Conditioner  360ml - £2 - This was actually supposed to be shampoo, but unfortunately I picked up the wrong bottle from the shelf in the supermarket, so I've now got 3 bottles of conditioner to use and no shampoo!  Great.  Anyway, as a result, in order not to push the budget by buying some shampoo, I decided it was a good opportunity to use up all those small sample/hotel/travel bottles that I had lurking in my stash.  Some are better than others, but they need using up, so now is as good a time as any.
BB Cream - £1.49 - This was the only extra purchase this month, which was on offer with Approved Foods, so I popped one on my order.  I must admit I haven't even tried it on my skin yet, as I'm still using my Nivea Tinted Moisturiser.  I need to give it a go before that runs out, just in case I need to buy some more.

I'm starting to think that it might be nice when this challenge ends, not to have a budget any more and be able to treat myself from time to time.  I picked up a Grapefruit Eau de Cologne Spray in T K Maxx the other day which I wanted to try, but then remembered that at £9.99 it just wouldn't fit into the budget so put it back.  Not really a hardship in the scheme of things, so I can't complain, but I think I can see me having a little binge when the challenge is finally over.  Maybe treat myself to a new inexpensive perfume or lipstick, although currently my lipsticks are getting used up, which is no bad thing.

I'll have to start thinking of the things I might treat myself to when this challenge ends.  Number one is a perfume from Lidl for £3.99 that I've heard good reviews of in the media.  It's supposed to be as good as Chanel on a Lidl budget.  Sounds fine to me for daily use.  If I can fit it into my £100 per year budget I might even indulge whilst still on the challenge, it could be an end of the challenge treat if there's enough spending power left.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this challenge before (and just discovered your blog, thanks to you commenting on mine, thank you!). It sounds like a good idea. But it must be a tough challenge. I might make year one, but only because I would survive partly on earlier purchases. Is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is allowed. I've only survived thus far because I had a supply of unused items that I needed to use up, some gifts, some things I'd bought more of than I needed. I don't wear a lot of make up or have a very expensive beauty routine, so it's not been too difficult and has stopped me overbuying which is good.

      Delete