Sunday 2 March 2014

52 Projects - Week 9 - Making a Herb Garden/Planter

One of the many things on my extensive on going 'To do' list is to create a herb garden somewhere at home, so that I can use the herbs when cooking.  As we are hoping to revamp our small city garden this year, and as I am impatient and can't wait for this to happen before I make the herb garden, I decided to plant one up in a plastic trough planter that I found discarded in the street last year.  I had been trying to use it to grow salad at home, but hadn't had too much success, so I decided it would make the perfect container for a herb garden.

I made a start a few weeks ago when I bought a couple of herb plants in  Lidl for £2.67 each.  The plants themselves were rosemary and oregano and looked very healthy and established and they came in clay pots which I can paint and reuse in the garden.  Here's a picture of the plants.



I then found some more herbs on sale in ASDA this week at £2 each so I bought a purple sage, a silver thyme and a curry plant to go in the trough too.  These also looked to be very healthy plants and were even more reasonably priced.



I'm not sure if I need any more, but I may sow some parsley and chives between the one's I already have.  Mint, if I decide to grow it, will have to be grown separately on account of it's invasiveness and I already have bay and lemon balm in the garden, so I think I'm just about covered on the herb front now.

Once the weather perked up a little and I'd gathered all the plants together that I needed, I cleared the planting trough and set about planting them out into it.  I just had enough compost left over to top up what was already in the trough.  I was quite pleased with the results, love their respective scents and colours and am looking forward to using them more in my cooking.  Here's a picture of the finished herb planter.



The gap where the fork is, is where I sowed some chive seeds that I had left over from last year.  I'm not sure if they are still viable, so if they don't grow I will try again possibly with parsley seeds.  Not the most frugal option I realise, but I'm happy that I've got a go to supply of ready grown herbs when I need them.

Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life in her 52 Projects challenge to get on and complete a task a week from all those tasks that you keep putting off and never getting around to.

6 comments:

  1. wonderful to have a herb garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's pretty basic, but will do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing to beat fresh herbs from the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to smell divine too!

    I'm also trying to work my way through outstanding tasks, it's going to take me a while though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does feel good to get things done, especially if they've been on you're list a long time. Good luck with your outstanding tasks.

    ReplyDelete