Thursday 7 February 2013

Hooray for Freecyclers

One of the things that I love about living in London, and it is probably true of other places too, is when very kind people leave things they no longer want or need, outside their houses for other people to take.  I've often been tempted to take things home with me or go back with the car to get something, but mostly, I just resist the urge, unless it is something I really can make good use of.

The other afternoon, on returning from the school run, (well, short stroll actually) I saw this lovely large plastic jar outside a house on the main road and decided to snaffle it up immediately.  Not much of a find you might think, but I have a very specific use in mind.  (More later).  It is very clean, no gunk inside or messy remnants of sticky labels on it.  I was sorely tempted to also remove a lovely pine console table with two drawers but as I couldn't carry it and our house is already full to the rafters, I resisted and left it for someone else.  A quick clean and my jar will be ready for use.  Thank you to the householder.  Rest assured your jar will be put to good use.



Often, things are left outside because people don't have a car to take them to the tip or charity shop, or don't even know where the nearest tip is, as our borough doesn't have one and the council have to collect all large items.  I like the idea of freecycling without having to go through the official procedures of Freecycle itself, which don't get me wrong, is a fabulous idea.

Later this week, I am going to a Give or Take Day at a local school, organised by our local council.  It is a great idea whereby you go along at an allotted time and give things you no longer need.  Later at a second allotted time you can go and can take away things you see there that might be useful to you.  I have acquired a few books and other things at these events, and it is amazing to see the really nice things given, that people who get there early come out with.  I'll let you know how I get on in a future post.

Anyway, back to freecycling.  The other week I came across this lovely little wooden storage unit outside a house down our street and picked it up and brought it home.



It was very clean and looked like it had hardly been used.  It has now been customised with stickers and has pride of place on my daughter's desk in her new bedroom and is a great depository for her bits and pieces.  If it was yours, thank you very much, it has found a new home and is much appreciated.

From the other side of the equation, it is very useful to be able to put things you no longer want outside on the street and within a few minutes sometimes, they have been taken, relieving you of the necessity of finding a new home for them.  It can, however, on the other hand, work against you if you are not careful, as I found out to my cost when my milk bottle holder disappeared one night and I was forced to buy a new one.  I suspect it was taken by someone collecting metal but there wasn't really much metal to it.  Probably a genuine mistake as it was a little tatty.  I can't complain too much,  we have benefitted from this service by having our old washing machines and other appliances taken away for us, and this has saved us the hassle of disposing of them ourselves!



1 comment:

  1. That is a thought - to have something taken which shouldn't have been !
    when we lived in Spain, we furnished our home from Boot fares, flea markets, second hand shops and things put out by the side of the road - we had some lovely things for nothing !

    ReplyDelete