Tuesday 27 September 2022

Late to the Too Good To Go Party

As the title suggests, this week I decided to try out the Too Good To Go App for the first time.  I was inspired by Frugal Lizzy Bee on YouTube. She posted a video about some Magic Bags she got from Starbucks which looked good. I've heard lots of people talk about this app, but I've never tried it out, so I thought that now would be as good a time as any. 

There were quite a few organic grocery shops and artisan bakery shops around where I live that were taking part, as well as a few restaurants, but as an introduction, I decided to stick to a high street brand that isn't too far away, namely Greggs. Partly, this was because of geography, partly because of the reviews and lastly it only cost £2.59 for a bag, which was the lowest entry point really. As it is the end of the month, I'm pretty strapped for cash, so I didn't want to go for something more expensive, but I'm open to try out lots of different places over time.

I needed to collect the bag between 5.30 pm and 6.00 pm on Monday evening.  In hindsight, Monday wasn't the best day to try this out, as it's also the day I do the weekly food shopping, so we will probably end up with more food than we need.  Next time, I'll probably purchase one towards the end of the week when we're running out of food, as it will be a nice treat. It's quite exciting, not knowing what you're going to get though.

In any case, here's what was in the bag:


1 x ham/egg salad sandwich - this is now in the fridge and I will eat this for my lunch tomorrow.

1 x Vegan Sausage and Bean Bake (the paler of the three on the plate) - I ate this for supper on the day I collected it, with some wedges and peas.

2 x Chicken Bakes - OH ate one of these on the day too and one went into the fridge to eat the next day or day after. I'm sure it will keep.

1 x Iced Doughnut - We shared this for a dessert after supper.

You are supposed to get £8 worth of food for the £2.59 paid. I think I got a little over that as the bakes cost £1.75 each and the sandwich £2.85. I didn't see how much the doughnut cost.

I think this was quite a good deal and everything was pretty fresh and tasty. I was able to choose the items I wanted from what was left in the fridge and under the counter, so I didn't end up getting things that we wouldn't eat.

I was pretty impressed.  The app even tells you how much CO2 you have saved by using up this food. In my case it was 3kg, which is encouraging.  Next month, I'll try out a couple more venues that are part of the scheme and I'll let you know how I get on.

Have you got the app and have you ever reserved a bag?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of shops doing this. Just wish they would do that here in my small city in the middle of Canada. You got some great items.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete