Friday 16 September 2022

Finishing My Lap Quilt

I've posted a couple of times this year about a paper pieced hexi lap quilt that I was making, for the reading cnook in one of our reception rooms. I organised the hexies into diamonds for this quilt and gave it a dark grey background made from a linen IKEA curtain. I really liked the contrast of the bright coloured fabrics with the dark grey. It fits in well in our reception room too, which is painted dark grey. 

I finished it a few months ago, and have since been working on a matching cushion cover with the fabric that was left.  My progress has been stalled however, as I don't quite have enough of the grey fabric to make the cushion cover large enough, so I'm currently contemplating my options in this regard.  I may put a border around it in a different fabric to get around this.


The quilt just needed backing. I decided not to wad it at all. We have lots of thick quilts for the living room, so I wanted a lighter one and I didn't want to actually quilt it either. I found a fabric in my stash that I liked and wanted to back it with. It is an African Waxed fabric that I found at a local charity shop.  There were 5 metres of it and it cost just £10. It was just wide enough to back the quilt, so I cut off the required amount and it has been sat in the sewing room for weeks awaiting further work.

When I took the sewing machine downstairs to the kitchen table to work on the curtains I made recently, it was a good opportunity to work on this too, as it meant that I had lots of room to work. I sewed it together differently from my usual quilts, so that it can be used as a wall hanging if I so wish. As a consequence, I didn't need to bind it.

I had to hand sew the 4th and final side, but I always quite enjoy finishing things off by hand.  I was pretty happy with the outcome and at least it's ready in time for the autumn/winter when I'll be most likely to use it.

Here's picture of the finished quilt and the backing used:



Now this is finished, I can happily concentrate on my current new patchwork project this autumn/winter.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you have made the flowers using the same material, I've never done them that way before. I still have loads of sewn hexagons left.

    ReplyDelete