Wednesday 7 September 2022

Feeling Autumnal

It is starting to feel decidedly autumnal these last few days. I have to say that for me, it's a welcome change. The sun has been way too intense for me this summer. I was a real sun worshipper when I was younger, but in recent years, I've kept well out of it.

Now, I'm sleeping with a heavier quilt on the bed again, instead of sleeping under a sheet and a light quilt and I'm contemplating wearing a jacket or an extra layer of clothing on some days.  Soon, I'll be getting my winter wardrobe out of storage and then it will really feel like the end of summer.

I was an autumn baby, born in October, so I've always loved this time of year. I've always loved September too, as I looked forward going back to school after the summer holidays.  Call me strange, but I loved school. I may yet go back to school myself this autumn, as there's a couple of things I'd like to study, finances allowing.

With LB moving out to go to University this year, it feels very strange. I guess when you've got one child, that empty nest syndrome hits as soon as that one child leaves the nest. It might have been easier if I'd been working and busier, but then again, it might have been much worse, so I'm not going to give any thought to that. At least we've had all of the summer at home together everyday, which has been a blessing.

As a parent, all you can hope, is that you've done enough to prepare your child for their independence. LB has been quite independent from a young age, so I'm sure she'll thrive. Besides, we're not that far away over the other side of London, if she needs us.

OH is also happy to see autumn arrive, as it brings the growing season to a close at the allotment. It's been a pretty good year for produce, but the harvesting and watering has been intense and it's always nice when it slowly grinds to a halt and his time is his own again. 

It's a satisfying feeling to put the plot to bed for the winter. Most things have now finished, save for a few tomatoes in the garden at home and some courgettes, cucumbers, and raspberries at the allotment. But they won't be there for much longer. The only downside, is that I'll have to start buying everything again soon. OH has already dug over one side of the plot, that was empty of crops and sown a green manure crop to over winter. He's going to do the same with the other side too. It's the first time we've tried this.

I'm looking forward to cooler evenings curled up under a quilt watching TV, wearing thick sweaters and socks and feeling the wind on my face. I think the changing seasons are what I love most about living in the UK.

How do you feel about autumn approaching?

2 comments:

  1. It is a love / hate relationship with me over the changing seasons - I do like the changes but they come around so quickly. Come October I will need to start seriously thinking about that word in December we don't like to mention too early!!
    You have to let your children go and with the knowledge that you have done a reasonable job to prepare them for the world. They can be so full of surprises too as they become adults with their own views and ideas. I think we will all be seeing how long we can last out without putting the heating on this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit strange. I love Autumn and Winter the most. Autumn means cooler weather, getting the produce in from the garden, and thinking about what to do in the winter. Winter means I get to snuggle in under quilts and shawls drinking hot chocolate.

    I have always loved the quote about giving children roots and then letting them grow wings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete