Friday 9 September 2022

This Week - W/E 11th September 2022

This week has been a strange one, with it being the first week without LB around.  We're getting used to it though and we're in contact quite a bit over What's App. 

In order to distract myself from her absence, I've been a bit more productive this week, which is good. I think her going off to University was weighing on me mentally and I just couldn't put my mind to anything before she went.

On Sunday, I ventured into the garden and did some potting up of strawberry runners and some lemon balm seedlings that had self seeded around the garden. I also separated a house plant and made several more plants from it. I'm hoping they all survive the separation process.

Monday, was quiet. I did the weekly shop as usual. I felt a bit irritated by the cashier in the supermarket, who commented on my buying a bottle of gin on a Monday. He said 'you're buying gin, it's not Friday', like I had a drink problem or something. I was buying it on a Monday, because I shop on a Monday and we'd run out. So rude and inappropriate. He shouldn't be making judgements about my shopping. I should have complained, but I couldn't be bothered.

In the afternoon, I picked up some patchwork quilting again. I'd not done any in quite a while, and I find it very calming and grounding. I started working on some small hexies that I'd made a while back, to use up small scraps of fabric. I'm currently just making flowers, but I don't know how they're all going to be put to use or put together yet. It just keeps me occupied and it's very therapeutic.  Here's a few photos of what I'm working with:



I'm liking the browns in particular, quite a retro vibe. 

On Tuesday, I booked into my usual class at the gym and didn't get charged this time. I'm not complaining. A free class is fine by me. It was a good class too.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to have a deep clean of LB's bedroom. It hasn't been done for a while and it was quite dusty in places, so it felt good to give it a good clean and change the bedding, so that it will be nice and comfortable for when she next comes home, whenever that will be.

I need to clean the whole house to be honest.  I've let it slip lately, as I've had other things on my mind and just couldn't get in the right frame of mind to do it. If I take it room by room, it should be manageable and not too overwhelming. 

On Wednesday, I got on my bike to do my weekly circuits of the Marshes. I needed to post out an online sale, so I took it with me in my pannier bag, but the local Post Office was shut due to electrical problems, so I had to ride over to another one, which gave me a bit more exercise. As there was supposed to be a postal strike over on Thursday and Friday, I wanted to post it off straight away to minimise any delay.

It was raining on and off for most of Wednesday, so after lunch I decided to continue to do some more cleaning, tackling the bathroom this time. It got a good deep clean and looked so much better for it. It only took a couple of hours.

By the time I'd finished that, it was time to get ready and go out to meet a couple of friends. We meet up every month or two.  We all met at the gym and have been good friends for quite a few years now. We had a nice meal and a bottle of wine and caught up on each others news.

Thursday, I booked myself into the gym for a session. I ended up watching coverage of the Queen's health concerns whilst there, which were all over the news. I was shocked when later it was announced that she had passed away. Although she was obviously looking much frailer, it was still a shock. I wasn't expecting it at all. A very sad day. 

We have lost a great lady, role model and stabilising influence, who has served our country and the Church selflessly, with faith, loyalty, dignity and a super strong work ethic, until the very end of her life. Thank you for your devoted service, Ma'am.  May you now rest in peace with your beloved husband.

LB came home later on Thursday. It was so lovely to see her and catch up with her news. She was heading out to a friend's house in East London that night and didn't want to travel all the way back to South London afterwards, so arranged to come home for the night. We were very happy to see her, of course, especially on such a sad day. She seems to be settling in well.

On Friday, LB was still here, so it was nice to spend a little time with her before she went back to her Halls.  We went to do a little bit of top up shopping before I dropped her off at the station to go back.

I bought some curtain wire whilst we were out, as a blind fell off the wall in my sewing room on Friday morning. I decided that instead of buying a new one, I would use some of my fabric stash to make a curtain that I can just gather to one side. It seemed a frugal option, as it will cost just £1 for the curtain wire. Maybe not as attractive as a blind, but it will do for the moment.

Wishing you a good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I was also shocked when I read about the Queen's death. It flashed across my computer screen.

    You had a great week and having LB home for a bit was lovely for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete