Friday 19 August 2022

Yay! Rain at Last

This week has been a mixed bag, both weatherwise and in terms of life, as I've been busy trying to get LB organised for going off to University in a few weeks time.

On Monday, I headed out to do the weekly shop. I managed to keep it reasonably minimal, although we did need quite a few things. I got to use a £3.50 voucher at Tesco, which helped.

In the afternoon, I headed off to the gym with OH. He went to a Pilates class, whilst I went in the gym.

On Tuesday, we finally got a decent amount of rain. It was so needed and welcome, as far as I'm concerned. I really didn't mind that it came just as I was going to and fro on my bike to a class at the gym, and I got drenched. The rain was more important. I quite enjoyed getting wet for once, as it was very cooling. The class at the gym was good too, definitely worth getting wet for.

In the evening, LB gave me a free haircut, which was much needed and appreciated. OH and I are going to a wedding on Saturday, so it was good to tidy it up before then. The fact that it didn't cost me anything was a lifesaver too. I'm going to have to wait for future haircuts, until those times when LB is home in the holidays.

On Wednesday, I headed off to a local mall with LB, to go to the bank and sort out some of her student finances. I had saved some money for her to use for daily living expenses whilst at University and we needed to get a standing order arranged, so that money could be paid into her account each month starting next month.

I also needed to bank a cheque. I sold some shares and received a cheque for them last weekend. This will pay a few bills and allow me to buy LB a few things she needs for going to University. 

It felt good to get these things done, so that LB is set financially for her student days. Her student living allowance pays mainly for her accommodation, with very little left over for daily expenses. I think she might eventually get a part time job, but for the first few months, it will be good that she doesn't have to worry too much about money and can enjoy her time as a student.

On the way home, I got caught in a torrential downpour. Luckily, I was on the bus at the time, so didn't get wet. It's so good to see so much rain after so much dry weather.

In the evening, we realised that someone had got inside our car and trawled through all of the contents of the glove box and doors. I don't think they took anything, as we don't keep anything valuable in the car, but it was a bit disturbing to know that someone had been in it rummaging around. I think OH must have left the door unlocked, as there was no damage caused by them getting in.

On Thursday, I had a day at home. I thought about going to the gym, but one gym session a week is enough. I just didn't feel like doing another one.

Instead, I walked the dog and then had lunch. In the afternoon, I pottered for a while, making some curd tarts to use up some pastry out of the freezer and some fruit curd out of the fridge. I did a bit of banking too and bits of work about the house. I also sowed some English marigold/calendula seeds. I want to harvest the petals for making Calendula balm, as it's very soothing and therapeutic. I may need to buy some dried petals in the meantime.

In the evening I watched the 1980's Spielberg movie Empire of the Sun. It was so good. I'd never watched it before. A very young Christian Bale was brilliant in it.  Would definitely recommend.

On Friday, LB and I spent most of the day shopping for things she needed for University. It was mainly just towels, pans, etc. I'd put aside a bit of money for it. It's a big life change for her afterall. It was fun to be able to buy things for her. I think she's got most of what she needs now.  Just a couple of things still needed that I'll try to pick up in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow, OH and I are going to a wedding reception in the evening.  Not sure what I'm going to wear, but it will be something from my wardrobe, that's for sure.

Hope you've had a good week and wishing you an enjoyable weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment