Sunday 28 August 2022

Frugal Things - W/E 27/08/22

This week, I've done the following frugal things to save money and spread the cost of things:

I bought a couple of small Xmas presents for OH this week. I got to thinking that as I'm currently without an income, buying presents for LB and OH this year is going to be a struggle, so I decided to start spreading the cost. Both gifts were small and cost about £10, so not enormous outlays, but I think he'll like them and every little bit helps.

I was given a few free seed trays from a garden centre we visited this weekend in Kent. They are good quality ones in very good condition, that the garden centre had used themselves, but no longer wanted. These will come in very handy for OH when sowing seeds in the spring. They just need a clean, which is easy enough to do. (Please excuse how dark this photograph is)


LB had a massive clear out of her clothing this week, prior to heading off to University. I salvaged some old worn t-shirts from going into landfill, by cutting them up for both dish cloths and rags for OH to use to clean his bikes. I kept a couple of items of her clothing too, to wear myself. Free clothes are always nice.

I did a  £2 session at the gym and a £2 Aerobics class too. It was a different teacher this week, which made a change. She was very nice and I enjoyed it. 

I made a lasagne from scratch this week, to use up lots of vegetables from the allotment. I also froze some excess tomatoes and pickled more beetroot. Almost one whole drawer of the freezer is now filled with frozen vegetables from the allotment.

I picked up a couple of items from outside our neighbours house, that they were giving away for free. They are these two aluminium plant holders that can be hung over a fence. Here's a picture:


I made a long resisted decision this week. After watching a video by Tess from Tess - Frugal Living  on YouTube, I finally decided to let go of the idea that I need to iron all of my clothes. From now on, nightwear, gym wear, leggings and t-shirts won't be ironed. I'll just be ironing things that need hanging in the wardrobe. I don't know why I've resisted this for so long, by way of some misguided old fashioned notion that it was good housekeeping. What with the energy crisis, I can't really justify being so stubborn any longer, so this should save us some money on electricity.

 No huge strides or anything, but progress just the same. 

 

 

 



3 comments:

  1. I am envious of your plant holders and I keep looking out for seed trays at our local garden centre - they have a bin where you can help yourself to their discarded ones but so far they have only been the larger trays for small plant pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely plant holders. Seed trays will really come in handy.

    Shhh, I don't iron much anymore, just the occasional blouse, shirt or dress.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The planters are brilliant!!!
    Ha, I gave up ironing a loooooong time ago!!!!

    ReplyDelete