Wednesday 24 August 2022

This Weekend

This weekend was very different and made a lovely change.  OH and I were invited to an evening wedding reception in Faversham in Kent on Saturday night. He had booked us into a room above a pub for the night, so that he could have a drink and we got taxis to and from the venue.

The venue was actually a field with a marquee, a mobile bar, hay bales, portaloos and a bouncy castle.  Some of the guests were camping there overnight. It was a lovely spot and the party was so good. A really good vibe with great music. We had a good dance, after having a few drinks. I haven't enjoyed myself so much in a long time, which came as a surprise, as I was almost dreading it, as I wouldn't know anyone there.  As it happens, Matthew knew someone through his cycling, (which is how he knew the groom) and we hung out with him and his wife.  Very nice people.

I was a bit concerned that our room above the pub might be noisy, but it wasn't. It was a big and very comfortable room and I slept pretty well, only waking up for a drink, because I was so dehydrated. (Too much alcohol) 

On the Sunday, we had breakfast before packing up and then heading out to explore the town. It was a town we'd passed through many times on the way to the beach when LB was small, but never stopped and explored and we were so pleasantly surprised at how lovely it was. Lots of old buildings and interesting shops.

We then drove out to the local Maytree Nursery, to get a wedding present for the bride and groom.  We had in mind a tree, but in the end OH settled for a voucher, as we'd never seen their garden and didn't know what they already had or might like. At least they can enjoy spending it. It turned out that it was their favourite nursery, which was lucky.  

It was a great plantsman's nursery.  So many trees and shrubs, some amazing mature specimens, which cost quite a lot of money. I'd love to return if ever we want to overhaul our garden and have a decent budget to do so. I've never seen so much choice.


OH did treat me to a couple of plants and a pot. One was this lovely lavender, I've wanted one for a while and theirs were very nice plants for just £5, the pot it's in was reduced to £8 which I thought was good value. He also bought me a small Monkey Puzzle tree, which is another plant I've wanted for a while. I'll be keeping it in it's pot for the time being though, as these can grow very big. It's super spiky.



Later, we visited OH's cycling friend at his house, where they had moved to from London a couple of years ago. It was lovely to see where they lived. It was a lovely quirky house. London is so expensive for young people, I can understand them moving out to where they were able to buy a great house in a lovely place.

In the afternoon, we wandered down to the quay/creek, a part of the town we hadn't yet explored. It was full of cafes, restaurants and vintage/antique shops that we had a look around which was fun, but we didn't buy anything. We already have too much vintage stuff in our house.  We need to get rid of some of it.

After a lovely day, we headed home to London. It was good to get back and see our little dog. She was so pleased to see us. It is very rare for her to make a fuss of us, so it was nice to get an animated greeting. LB had looked after her in our absence, but she must have missed us.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely weekend. Like you I often dread going to things where I don't know anyone. There is usually someone that feels the same way and we kind of gravitate towards each other.

    Love the plants.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. I love those very low key weddings where friends can camp at the venue. What a good idea to get a gardening voucher - I will remember that for the future.

    ReplyDelete