Friday 12 August 2022

Frugal Things W/E 12/8/22

This week I've been getting back into living frugally. Although I didn't spend a whole lot on holiday, I did buy myself and LB a few treats here and there, so now it's time to tighten the purse strings once again. Here's what I did to keep things frugal this week: 

We decided to start using a washing up bowl again, for the first time in probably 20+ years. Mainly to harvest water to put on the garden, but it should also save money too.  In a similar vein, I used a trug in the shower and caught enough water to clean the bathroom with.

We had a bumper harvest of produce from the allotment on our return from our holiday. More tomatoes than we know what to do with, a lunchbox full of raspberries, beetroot, cucumber and sweetcorn. 

I made some home made deodorant, which I haven't done for a number of years. It helped me to start using up some ingredients I've had for ages and saved money buying any. 

I foraged another bag of blackberries this week, which have been frozen. I used some reusable ice lolly containers I already had and made some smoothie ice lollies with them this week, which should help save money on buying ready made ice lollies.

I also made some flap jack this week to use up items in the food cupboard, that wouldn't otherwise get used. I haven't made these in a long time. 

 


I picked up this set of wooden drawers for free, from outside a house on our street. I gave them a makeover and they are now in use in the sewing room.

I used up a couple more things from the freezer, that have been sat in there for quite a while. It is making room for allotment produce and also using up things that might otherwise go off and need to be thrown out at some point. 

I potted up a couple more plant babies from a Chinese money plant that I have. She has produced 4 new baby plants now.  I'm hoping this is a good omen for my future finances - I need all the help I can get!!

I sold the last non-performing shares that I needed to offload. My remaining shares are much more stable and profitable ones and it is much less depressing to check them, than when I had lots of long underperforming shares alongside them. I am also doing this to cut any potential losses should the stock market take a turn for the worst in the coming months due to a recession, etc. I'm keeping a regular eye on the remaining shares, with a view to selling them too, if absolutely necessary.

Finally, I foraged a bowlful of small wild plums the other day. I would have liked to have foraged more, but the many bushes I visited were all stripped clean of them, which was disappointing. People must be picking them when they are green, because the ones I did get are only just ripening now. I'll just have to be out earlier next year and hope I get lucky.

Getting back into this frugality thing, slowly but surely. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment