Wednesday 4 April 2018

Earn/Save £2018 in 2018 - March

Month three of this challenge and it has once again been better than I expected, largely due to some changes in our household expenditures. I've continued to sell a few bits on eBay, listing a few more things using a no listing fee offer that was valid this month. (There seems to be one every month, but I'm not complaining)

1) eBay sales this month totalled £16.64 after fees and postage had been deducted.

Total Earned via eBay this month - £16.64

2) I used the last of my Tesco club card reward vouchers, some money off  £50 spend vouchers and one other money off voucher, to save money on groceries this month.

Total savings from Tesco vouchers this month - £19.00.

3) Whilst perusing Money Saving Expert's weekly email, I noticed that Martin Lewis had blagged a 20% off everything code at Holland and Barrett, which was even valid on things that were already half price.  I also had a 75p reward voucher to spend with them, so I ordered two 900g packs of dates for OH and two packs of milk chocolate coated dates (also for OH for Father's day and his birthday) and by using both discounts and the free delivery on offer, I saved £3.83 in total. During a very busy week at work, this really helped me, as I didn't have to schlep to the shop to buy these items.  Double win.

A relatively small sum, but better than paying full price and we should be stocked up for a good while now.

Total savings from Holland and Barrett - £3.83.

4) OH arranged us a new fixed rate for our mortgage with our existing building society, as our current fixed rate expires in a couple of months and we'd be put on a higher variable rate.  He managed to get us a reduction on the current rate of 0.55%, which although not a huge drop is better than nothing.  It should save us nearly £290 over the remainder of this year and more going forward from there and avoids the hassle of producing all the paperwork required to change to a new lender.

Savings made from mortgage rate switch - £290.

5) A voucher pinged into my inbox one day this month, from eBay, to save 20% off a £20 spend in certain categories on the site. As I needed some anti-plaque dental powder for the dog, I decided to use the coupon to buy a larger than normal bottle, which meant that I saved £5.60 and won't have to repurchase this for quite a while.

Savings made with eBay coupon - £5.60

6) I found £5 whilst out walking the dog this month.  I know this isn't strictly earned or saved money, and is a bit random, but I thought I'd include it in the challenge anyway as it was unexpected income.

Money found - £5

All of the above made a grand total of £340.07 this month, which when added to the running total so far this year of £256.85 means I've saved/earned an extra £596.92 so far this year. Not too shabby so far, but things will get trickier from here on in.

5 comments:

  1. That is brilliant news on your mortgage. We are in the process of doing ours on a property we rent out so hopefully can make some savings too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with making savings on your new mortgage rate. It all helps.

      Delete
  2. Great news on the interest savings on your mortgage. You are well on the way to meeting this challenge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite pleased with myself this month as I have at last managed to get some of our unwanted stuff listed on eBay -and it has all sold except the white wedding umberellas that we bought for my daughters wedding and never needed to use. We took advantage of the free listings and we also had an offer of free postage.
    It certainly pays to shop around for a new deal these days even if it is a bit of a hassle especially watching the dates when the deals end. As a mortgage is usually a substantial sum of money it is well worth getting a deal where you make a decent saving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for selling lots of things on eBay. You earned a lot of money from it.

    ReplyDelete