Saturday 14 April 2018

A Chaotic Week

It's been a strangely chaotic week.  OH has been pressing on with repainting the kitchen, which virtually renders it out of bounds, save for cooking/preparing food or putting on a wash.  As it was the hub of our home, all general activity/eating now takes place in the living room, which is currently in chaos. Hey ho.

As I've been feeling pretty rotten this week, (another cold - two in the space of a month) I've spent a couple of my days off in bed, which hasn't been great.  I think I've got myself very run down and am feeling pretty exhausted. I've still been at work this week though, so have dragged myself there snuffling and coughing for my usual three days. Probably not the most considerate thing to do, but a couple of volunteers already have colds. I'm now feeling over the worst and finished my last day for this week yesterday.

The kitchen is now looking very white, as well as very empty. (Save for the decorating tools/equiptment) We haven't yet chosen a colour for the one wall that we will be painting a colour on. We're planning a trip to pick and possibly mix the paints we require for this wall, the cupboard fronts and the floor this morning, which is quite an exciting prospect. I'm just waiting for OH to return from a dog walk and we'll be off.

By the way, thank you Catriona, you were indeed correct, the new IKEA doors won't fit our cupboards, so you saved us a lot of hassle by mentioning this on my last post about the kitchen renovation.  OH is going to repair and repaint our current doors instead, all being well. It's a lot of work and will probably take a while, but it beats having to replace every cupboard carcass.  It seems so wasteful somehow. How inconsiderate of IKEA to make such wide reaching changes to their kitchens. Obviously trying to drum up new trade now everyone has reached 'peak stuff'.

OH is now painting the woodwork on the windows and doors, before re-sanding and oiling the window sills and worktops.  Here's a little picture of the work in progress.  A very blank canvas.

(Although this photo was taken on a very sunny morning, it looks very dark in our kitchen, despite all of the windows)

We're also looking for new light fittings and a new tap, preferably one with a pull out spray for easy cleaning of the sink. Very American, as I've seen lots of YouTubers with these types of taps and I like them. It will be interesting to see how they function in practice.

Workwise, it's been a strange week.  The manager was successful in being reappointed for another year, so my job will be advertised soon and I will need to reapply. I've been having a wobble on account of feeling so tired, but I think I've been talked round and will go ahead and take the plunge. We'll see what happens.

As a consequence of the above, life is in a bit of turmoil at the moment, not in a serious way, just in a day to day functioning kind of way.  We're getting by though.  At least we still have kitchen facilities and it's not a total stripping out of everything kind of renovation.

I spent most of my day off on Thursday ironing.  I couldn't decide on a place to set up the iron and ironing board all week and eventually today settled on the living/dining room, although it seems to cause a lot of condensation.  I've more than halved the ironing pile, but there's still a basketful to do over the weekend.

It was nice to just stay home and spend a little time with LB.  She'll be back at school on Monday. I took her to the opticians in the afternoon for an eye test and to order some new glasses.  (She broke her newest pair months ago!) At least this has been achieved this Easter holidays, if nothing much else. I'll keep you posted of further progress in the kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. We used Zinsser primer to cover our daughter’s kitchen units-expensive but saved a lot of faffing when the grey topcoat went on. DH is fitting the radiator covers this morning but as I told him. The walls are needing painted! Good luck with your makeover-we’ve done loads over the years especially now we are retired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen will be lovely and fresh. I've had four colds this winter and so hard to shake off, has left me very run down X
    Good lock with the shop if it's what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your kitchen windows!!

    It is going to be beautiful when you are finished.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete