Thursday 23 April 2015

The Kitchen Declutter Begins (Finally!)

More than three weeks into April and I finally get around to starting the kitchen declutter that I wanted to do this month.  I'm not sure that I'll get it finished, but here goes.

On Wednesday night, spurred on by finding an item that I was happy to donate, I finally got started after supper.  I began in a very small way by tidying out two cupboards.  The first was the boiler cupboard, which held very little, just a few glass bottles and a bit of dust!

As usual with these things, I get so enthused and forget to take a before picture, but there isn't too much to show in this case. Anyway, after finding another home for numerous fancy glass french lemonade bottles in the next cupboard and giving it a good wipe over, it was done.  Here's a very boring after picture to get the ball rolling.  A nice uncluttered cupboard, just how I like it!


 (Please excuse the lighting in these pictures as they were taken when it was overcast outside)


I decided to adopt a carrot and stick approach to this task.  Every cupboard that I completed, I awarded myself with a small piece of Green and Black's chocolate.  Needless to say, I stopped at two cupboards in this session, lest my waistline expanded even further.

The next cupboard was the cupboard in which we keep most of our glassware.  I found a few items I was happy to donate in here, well, 4 in total.  I toyed with getting rid of more of the lemonade bottles, but decided against it, as Little Bird likes to use these to make homemade lemonade and I may one day decide to make some sloe/rhubarb gin, for which they would come in very handy. In the end, I'm ashamed to say that I kept 8 out of 9 of them.  I will most likely reduce this down further at some point in the future.

Most of the dustier glass items on the top shelf were washed and replaced, but most of the rest of the glasses (save the cocktail glasses) get used regularly and are stored rim down, so they don't really get dusty.  I cleaned the shelves and after a bit of reorganisation, I was pretty happy with the results.



I then went on to do a bit of decluttering in another cupboard by sorting through the medicine box and sifting out any out of date products or things we no longer use, so that when I get around to cleaning that cupboard, most of the work has already been done.  I'll keep you posted on future progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment