Thursday, 2 April 2015

A Greenhouse Tidy Up

On Saturday morning, OH said he wanted to do a tip run to get rid of the old turf from his lawn makeover the other week.  There was no room left for it in the compost bin and we can't put it in our garden waste bin or the council refuse to empty it. 

While he was out in the garden, I remembered there were a couple of things I needed to take that were somewhere in my little greenhouse and needed digging out.  Lots of things tend to get stored in there over the winter, so it was looking a little full and needed tidying up, so that I could start to sow some seeds in there.  In addition, I hadn't cleared out a couple of tomato plant pots from last year.  (I had cut the plants right down, but not got rid of the roots, which were still languishing in a growing bag).

I took the garden chairs out, removed the growbag and the couple of items that needed throwing out and just doing these little jobs made a big difference.  I also moved my succulents to a lower level to clear the top shelves and make room for some potting up. I finished off by sweeping the floor and here's the finished result, all ready for some spring sowing.

After we'd been to the tip, we headed off to Selco, the builder's merchants, to get some timber for my allotment.  I'd managed to find a few bits of wood on the way to the tip and retrieve a few bits from the tip, which saved us a little money.  The rest of what we needed was purchased and brought home.  It turned out to be quite a lot more expensive than I thought, as the catalogue I had originally looked in was at least 5 years old, so prices had gone up quite a lot.  OH spent about £60 in total, but this was still less than I would have spent at a regular DIY store.

I know it isn't really the done thing to buy new timber for an allotment, but I just wanted to get it set up again as soon as possible and it could take ages to wait until I'd found the timber for free in skips.  When we originally set up the bed edging, we had some wood in our cellar that had been left there when we moved in, so it didn't cost us anything.  That wood lasted for 5 or 6 years and we didn't even treat it with any preservative.  This time around I'm doing it properly and when I  got home I spent a couple of hours covering all the timber and my decking tiles that I bought the other day with preservative.  Hopefully, it will last at least as long, or even longer, as I definitely don't want to have to do this again for a good while.  Here's a picture of all the wood after I'd added the preservative.

I now just need to take accurate measurements back at the plot, so that we can cut them to size, make the stakes and attach them and then I can finally take them and hammer them into place on the plot.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result when we finally get it all done.  I'll post again when it is finished.


  1. A great days work, I love this time of year, getting every thing ready for the promise of a new growing season.

    1. I just need to sow some seeds now, but I'm waiting until we get back from visiting family over Easter. I hope that you and your family have a lovely Easter.

  2. We used pressure treated timber for both our veg boxes and the compost bins at the cottage and both are weathering well. Our compost bin at home made out of the same has been there since the early 90's and still no sign of rot. Bet you cannot wait to get started.