Tuesday 8 April 2014

Everything Looking Springlike in the Garden

In the last couple of weeks our garden has started to come alive again after a long wet winter.  Here's a picture of what it looked like back in the depths of winter. Very bare with very little going on at all.
 
 


This same border now looks like this.


Lots of fresh green foliage growing and the recent rain has made all the greenery look even zingier.  Even the blackcurrant bush is starting to burst into leaf again
 
 
The cherry tree has some beautiful blossoms on it.
 
 
 
The border geraniums have even started flowering.
 
 
 
As have the bluebells (Spanish I think) under the peach tree.
 
 
There are also several clumps of Forget-me-nots doing their thing. 
 
 
It makes it a pleasure to look out of the patio doors and see everything changing on a weekly basis.
 
  We were going to completely overhaul the garden this year, on account of the small lawn of grass getting into a terrible condition since we got the dog, but as we both quite like our garden as it is, we have decided to limit the dog's access to the grass (as she tends to just run up and down it barking, creating a nuisance and wearing it out) and get it re-turfed professionally and some small fences put up around this area to protect it.  This may seem hard on the dog, but she does get lots of good walks and will still get access, but it will be supervised and only if she behaves, as she has been causing some problems with our neighbours in recent months.
 
 
 
Getting back to the rest of the garden, the herb planter I planted up a few weeks ago for Project 52 seems to have taken on a life of it's own and the gap left, where I (unsuccessfully) sowed some chive seeds, is closing up all by itself.  Yesterday I sowed some parsley seeds in there and I'm hoping I will have a bit more luck with these.
 
Talking of seed sowing, the seeds I sowed in March were a mixed bunch.  Many were old seeds that I was giving one more chance, as they were flowers and vegetables I have favoured in previous years, but I haven't had a lot of success with many of them, so the seeds will need be thrown away if there are no signs of life in the next month.  What has germinated are some salad seeds, the carrots I sowed in a container, a few tomato seeds and a few peas, which I will need to take to the allotment in due course, if the snails don't get them first.  I can feel another bout of seed sewing on the horizon.   Is anyone else having any better luck?
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I haven't bothered sowing my seeds up to now as it has been so cold and damp I thought they would just rot before they germinated. This weekend I am going to do all my sowing and planting as temps have started to rise now in general - still time for most things to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give some of my sowings a bit longer to germinate. Some of them were pretty old though, so they were probably non-viable. We'll see. I'll probably try to do a bit more sowing later in the month I think and hope I have more success.

      Delete
  2. Zingy is a great word !
    Looking pretty. Our grass is AWFUL !

    ReplyDelete