Thursday 3 April 2014

A Year in Books - April

I can't quite believe we are in April already.  This month seems to have flown by.  In March, I read this book by Sue Townsend.


On the book jacket it had good reviews and I was expecting it to be funny and a little absurd, which it definitely was.  It did, however, surprise me (in a good way might I add) as it was also very touching and thought provoking in parts.  On the very first page was a quote attributed to Plato and others, which went as follows - 'Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle'.  I appreciated these sentiments as soon as I saw them, but as you got to the end of the book, the relevance of the quote hit home even harder.  In the latter chapters of the book, I became concerned for the welfare of the main character with whom I had some sympathy, who was deteriorating both physically and mentally by this point.  I won't spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the book by elaborating any further, but suffice to say, this book really made me think about the importance of being kind to other people.  It certainly delivered more than I expected when I first started reading it and was well worth the read.



I also read this book in March by Gil McNeil and at the risk of being accused of always giving positive reviews, I really enjoyed this book too.  What I most enjoyed about it, was it's lack of sentimentality.  I have read many books with similar plots in recent months, but this one was far superior, as a consequence of it lacking sentimentality, and I really enjoyed the knitting references too.  There was even mention of the Knitting and Stitching Show that I attended the other week.  I believe that a sequel has been written to this book, which I would be interested to read if I ever came across it.

In April, I've set myself the goal of trying to read some more serious literary fiction.    I used to read much more serious fiction when I was younger, but after having my daughter, I found the concentration necessary and the opportunities to sit down and really get stuck into a book have been been harder to come by.  This month I've already read this book by Margaret Attwood.  I read a few of her books in my early twenties - The Handmaid's Tail, Cat's Eyes - to name a couple.  I found them very powerful and thought provoking.  I found this book Moral Disorder on a favourite market stall, for sale for £1 brand new, and couldn't resist buying it.


As I entered April, I was already over half way through this book and enjoying it immensely, which I wasn't altogether sure I would.  I liked the honesty of the central character, of most of the characters actually.  I thoroughly enjoyed reacquainting myself with Atwood's literary style, although I do find the fact that the chapters are quite long, make it harder to dip in and out of, which means I often only pick it up when I know I have time to read a chapter in it's entirety.  Having said this, I finished it pretty quickly and am now reading this book by Amy Tan,

 

I think I have read the Joy Luck Club, but I have definitely read several titles written by Chinese/Japanese authors in the past and have enjoyed learning more about their very different customs and religious/cultural beliefs and practices.  The beguiling outline of the story, on the back cover of this book, both intrigued me and drew me to it.  I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as I think I will.  A couple of chapters in and I'm finding it very readable.  The print, however, is very small so there is much more packed into each page and as a consequence, it may take me a while to finish this book.

Joining in with Laura at Circle of Pine Trees in her A Year in Books challenge to try to read more in 2014.
 

4 comments:

  1. You seem to have a varied reading list - I have seen the Sue Townsend book and wondered what it was about I might see if I can find a copy. I have just started going to the library again though I must confess I always head over to the non-fiction first and check out the craft and gardening books. I must look out some of the titles that other bloggers are reading and read the ones that appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I must admit if I ever go to the library I head to the craft section too. Most of my books are picked up in charity shops, car boots or from a favourite book stall on a market, so they tend not to be on any current best seller or literary prize lists. I tend to be a bit instinctive with regard to my choices. I read the back cover and if it grabs my imagination, or I can relate to the plot, then I will often give it a go. I tend to keep things light, but lately I am dipping a toe back into more serious titles and finding myself enjoying them too.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read in ages. Working with volunteers in the shop, you have to be very kind; some are widows and all have a story. A very shy woman is joining me today. She will only work with me at the moment because she remembers me from when our children were at primary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will look after them all well I'm sure. It must take a while to find your confidence in a new situation. I think we forget that everyone has a story sometimes, even the rudest people!

      Delete