Sunday 28 January 2024

Making Progress - W/E 27th January 2024

This week started with my finally getting a day off after a very busy week at work. It felt so good not to have to go to work on Sunday. All I did need to do was to walk the dog, which wasn't a hardship. We had a nice chilled walk around a local disused golf course. It's one of our regular haunts.

Once home, I made myself a lovely big salad for lunch, which was much needed. To be honest, I didn't do a whole lot for the rest of the day, save for a bit of work on my current quilting project, as it was just nice to chill and not feel compelled to do anything. I was quite tired, if I'm honest, and just needed time to recover from the week at work. I'm quite a bit older than the majority of the staff at work, and working virtually full-time hours last week took it's toll. I even had a nap in the late afternoon on Sunday, something I haven't done in months. I felt a lot better for it though.

In the evening, we watched a bit of TV. I ended up staying up quite late catching up on a few YouTube videos, as I wasn't tired enough to go to bed on account of napping.

On Monday morning, I didn't need to be up too early, but when I did get up, I needed to take some photos and measurements as part of my fitness journey. I'd completely forgotten to do it last week and I like to keep a record of my progress. There wasn't anything startlingly different, just an inch lost around my waist, but it's all good.

When I went downstairs, I noticed that the fence to the side of the kitchen window had virtually blown down in the storm of the night before. Here's a picture:


OH propped it back up when he got back from the dog walk, but it probably needs replacing. We need to do so much work on our garden this year. It might have to be added to the list of jobs to be done.

As usual, it was weekly shop day. I took myself off and used my final £6 off a £60 spend voucher at Tesco, by doing most of the weekly shop there again. I bought quite a bit of yellow stickered meat to put in the freezer, so it should keep us going for a while. 

Next week's shop should be pretty minimal and mainly consist of fresh foods we use all the time. I will be doing virtually all of it at Lidl, as I will have a 10% off voucher to use there next week. The Tesco vouchers have caused me to buy more food than I would normally, but as a consequence, we are well stocked up at the moment, so it should make February a much cheaper month for food shopping. I didn't have to use the vouchers, but I like to, as it does amount to quite a bit of money.

I was relieved not to get a call from work asking me to go in, so I could enjoy my second work-free day. Annoyingly, however, my pedometer accidentally got switched off today, so I didn't track any of my steps. It's so annoying when that happens. I made a guess at what the total would be. Only a few thousand, due to walking around a huge supermarket and a couple of other shops.

On Tuesday, I needed to walk the dog before going to my usual class at the gym, but she was scratching at the front door at 6.15 am, which was way too early for me, as it was still dark outside, so OH took her. I got up later and got ready and headed off to the gym for my usual class.

When I got back, the dog wanted to go for another walk, so I had some lunch and then took her out for an hour. When we got home I had to quickly shower and get ready for work/the dentist. I was due at the dentist at 3.30pm, for a 6 month check up and clean. I'd paid half of the cost of the clean at my last appointment in July, so I just needed to pay the second half and the check up fee. It wasn't particularly cheap, but at least it's done for the next six months. 

I went straight to work from the dentist, but got caught in a bit of traffic. Work was okay, but it was a bit of a later finish, I think because we were understaffed. I was asked if I would work an additional shift on Wednesday night, which I agreed to.

On Wednesday morning, I decided to return to the free Soca class that had re-started last week. I needed to squeeze a bit more exercise in where I could, to help keep the scales moving in a downward direction. It felt nice to get back to what felt like my normal weekly exercise routine, for probably the first time since mid November. This class is very upbeat and fun and I have missed going along for the last month or two.

After a busy day the day before, it was nice to just chill in the afternoon and not really do a lot before getting ready for work in the evening. I headed off a little early, so that I could pop into an opticians near work and book an eye test for next week. Another small job done.

On Thursday, I didn't have anything planned for once, so I was able to get out for a nice long walk with the dog. I was working in the evening, but I had most of the day to do as I pleased, so I had a lovely pottering at home kind of day, putting away laundry, catching up with my finances, journalling, etc. It felt restful, but productive. I'm all about making small progressive steps at the moment.

On Friday, I had another nice long walk with the dog. I was looking forward to having a day off, but suspected I might be asked to work, which I was and did agree to, mainly because I know they are very short staffed at the moment and I didn't have anything planned. I got a call from the nurse at my GP surgery today, who told me my blood pressure/pulse tracking for the week was within normal parameters, which was good news.

On Saturday, I headed to the gym in the morning and enjoyed the session. It helped to rejuvenate me a little after working a lot again this week. I just had one more night to work on Saturday.  I was pretty tired at work. Five consequetive nights on the same, quite demanding section, just took it out of me. I was so glad to go home and chill, knowing that I had two days off ahead of me. 

OH and I watched the last episode of the second series of The Traitors, then headed to bed.

Another busy week, but one in which progress was made towards my goals, so I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment