Monday 1 January 2024

A New Year Begins

I have to be honest. I'm more than happy to move forward into a New Year. I'm essentially a forward looking person, although I do like to look back too, to reflect and help motivate me. It's not that the past year has been particularly bad in any respect. I've had lots of freedom in many ways, but probably the most difficult thing about it, has been spending 6 months of it looking for a job; constantly scrolling job adverts on my phone/computer, constantly applying for jobs and filling in application forms, and then going for interviews on the few occasions I was offered them. It really was all consuming and sometimes very demoralising, especially when I didn't get offered a job or even get offered an interview. It's honestly been a relief to have actually been working this last 6 weeks or so and not to have to look for a job for a little while. It's given me a rest from the search. I don't know how much longer I'll have this job, but I am very grateful for it going forward and if I need to look for a job again in the near future, I will just have to get back onto it, with renewed optimism.

In many ways, 2023 was a good year. I did work in a few different jobs, managing to earn enough money to get by and get through the expensive Christmas period. I didn't always enjoy what I was doing, but it's always nice to meet new people and to feel productive.  Sometimes, earning money takes priority and when you know it's only a temporary or short term job, doing something that you don't particularly enjoy is bearable. I've learned a lot about what I want to do and what I really don't want to do long term and I've been grateful to have had opportunites to earn money and reflect on this.

Probably partly as a consequence of my demoralising experience of job hunting, I decided to start my fitness/weight loss journey mid way through 2023. I decided that if I couldn't find a job, that I would start to put serious effort and time into looking after myself. No one else is going to do it for me and I had no excuse, as I did have the time to do it, so I made a promise to myself that I would invest in me and it has definitely paid off. I have now lost two stone in weight and I am the lightest I've been in a long time, probably 6 or more years. I feel a lot better in myself and I feel like maybe it's actually not too late to become the person that I'd like to be. Maybe there's hope for me yet and for this reason, I'm going to carry on doing my best, to be the best version of me that I can be. I can't go back, I owe it to myself not to and there are so many inspiring people out there, particularly on Instagram, showing me the way. A few favourites on instagram include trainwithjoan, khopatthegym, cassiatierney, jadeslildiscovery, louisesjourney, scaseyfitness and bethanyydobson, plus many more that I don't actually follow regularly.

Having said this, I have to admit, that I have put on a few pounds in the last couple of weeks, not so much over Christmas, but in the days since I've come back to London. With no exercise classes, no shifts at work and lots of snacks and food gifts left over from Christmas, it's been way too easy to overeat on a daily basis, but as the snacks and chocolates have steadily been consumed, my eating has started to get back to normal and I'm hoping to be back where I was before Christmas in a week or two and then start making progress again. (Wish me luck!)

In 2024, I've formulated a few (not set in stone) plans, to help boost my weight loss/fitness journey. I've re-downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone and I fully intend to give it another go. I gave up after just a few weeks the last time I tried it 18 months ago, but now, carrying a couple of stone less in weight, I'm hoping it might be a little easier and I might get a bit further with it. I'm not putting pressure on myself though and if I find it doesn't work for me, then I'll probably stop again. I only intend to maybe add in one run/walk per week initially and see how it goes. I'll still be continuing with the exercise I've been doing for the past 6 months, but I would like to add another string to my bow, so to speak, if possible.

In the hope that it goes well, I have signed up for the Park Run scheme. We have a Park Run locally and I'm tempted to give it a go. OH has done a few different Park Runs, in various parts of the country, both locally and when we've been away for the weekend, and they look like a lot of fun. It would be a big leap forward for me, to attempt to run with other people, so that is also potentially on my fitness bucket list this year, but maybe further down the list. Even if I walked most of the way round, I'd feel I'd accomplished something and the best thing is, that it's free to join up and you can go along and join in with any Park Run anywhere, or even volunteer to help marshall, which I think I might enjoy too. It would be a priviledge to encourage others to run and help facilitate them becoming their best selves. It would feel like a really positive thing for me to do with my time.

The final item on my fitness bucket list for 2024, is my intention to Walk 1000 Miles this year. It's an idea I got from a YouTuber I watch. Ideally, you should walk a thousand miles in addition to the everyday mileage you do, but I'm initially just going to aim to walk 1000 miles including my daily mileage. I calculated, using the pedometer on my phone, that between the beginning of June last year (when I started my fitness journey) and the end of 2023, I walked/stepped 584 miles in total, so I will need to walk as much, if not a bit more in the coming year, to reach the 1000 miles. This mileage may come from running or actually heading out on solo walks (without the dog, as she needs far less walking as she gets older and sadly, I now don't take her out everyday anymore).

So, I've got some loose fitness plans that I can work towards in 2024. There's enough there to hold my interest, without too much pressure, which suits me perfectly. I'll keep you posted on progress, if there is any. Have you got any plans for 2024, in any area of your life? I'd be very interested to hear about them.


4 comments:

  1. I love your fitness plans. I have also decided to look after me a bit more than I have over the past few years.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to you for losing the 2 stone and it being something you wanted to do! It's good that this means you will be giving the running a go with Coach to 5K and Parkrun. My sister is obsessed with Park run! She travels all over the place to visit different ones. There's an organisation called Fordy Runs who you can sign up to if you don't know anyone else who runs so there are friendly people to look out for there. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your weight loss, wishing you a happy 1000 miles (only 3 miles a day)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS those Instagrammers look scary

    ReplyDelete