Saturday 6 January 2024

A Good Start to the Year

The first week of 2024 has been a good but busy one. On New Years Day, OH and I headed off to a cycle cross event in South London. We took the dog with us and myself and the dog sat in the stands watching and getting very cold, whilst OH competed in a race. It was a nice day out though. We picked up LB from her Uni halls on the way home, where she'd spent NYE celebrating with her friends.  She came back home for a few more days, before the start of the new University term.

Tuesday, I returned to my usual class at the gym which was good, and then late, in the afternoon, I headed off of do the weekly shop. I used a £9 off a £60 spend voucher at Tesco, so I was able to stock up on a lot of things that we use regularly and this should keep us going for a good while. It felt good to re-stock and get back to normal eating after the festive season.

I returned to work on Wednesday evening. I was working four consequetive nights this week, from 5pm to 9.30pm.  The slightly earlier finish times suit me better, in terms of eating after work. It's still a bit late, but not as bad as eating after 10pm. It was quite eventful at work on a couple of the nights, although I can't really go into the reason for this, so I got straight back into the swing of it. It was quite nice to be back at work and to be busy, especially with LB returning to Uni later in the week, as it kept me occupied and stopped me getting sad about her going back.

On Thursday, I had booked a gym session and then on the way home, I dropped into my favourite local charity shop for a mooch. I ended up finding quite a few things to buy, although I didn't spend a massive amount. (More about this in another post, my first thrift shop haul of 2024)

On Friday, LB packed herself up and we took her back to her Uni halls in South London. I managed to take down the Christmas decorations in the morning before we set off, as I knew I wouldn't have much time when we got back, as I had to get ready for work. It was actually nice to take them down and for the house to feel a little less cluttered. 

The journey there and back wasn't too bad and we managed to fit in a Lidl shop for LB whilst there, to stock her up with food.  We got back home earlier than I expected, so I sat in the living room for an hour before getting ready for work and finished watching a limited series on Netflix about a health experiment carried out on identical twins, where one twin was given a vegan diet and one an omnivore diet. It was an interesting series.

I didn't have any plans for Saturday, save going to work later, so after getting out with the dog, I spent a chill day at home making a nice lunch and then pottering and making some homemade dog food, before the offal I'd bought went out of date.  OH took all of the outside Christmas lights down today, which was sad. I've enjoyed seeing them twinkling every evening. I now feel like I'm back into a regular routine and it feels good. I'm looking forward to the year ahead.

Next week, I'm hoping to get the house in order post-Christmas and there's the one or two things we've got planned, which may be interesting. I'll keep you posted. 

I hope you've had a good start to the year.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, even though it has gotten decidedly colder I feel the start to this year has been pretty good. Here's hoping it stays that way for both of us.

    I am looking forward to your thrift store haul. I really enjoy these as thrift stores in the UK are so much better than those in my small city.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with all the relentless rain, this year does not feel so dull and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love people's outdoor lights - really cheering when I leave for work in the dark. Was there any real difference between the two diets? And Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete