Sunday 27 February 2022

Financial Round Up - February

February, has been another month where I had a lot of outgoings and very little discretionary spending. I'd spent a lot on credit cards in January for LB's and my sisters 60th birthday, and these expenditures had to be paid off this month, in order that I didn't have to pay any interest.

In addition, LB was due to go to the dentist for a checkup and I had budgeted for the possibility that she might need a filling or two. In actuality, she didn't even need her teeth cleaning, so this was a win and the check up only cost me £24. This meant that there was a little room in the budget, which I then used to book her an appointment for an eye test, which was also due. 

She needed some new glasses, as she had lost hers on a night out on her birthday last month, so she was making do with some old glasses, but the prescription wasn't strong enough and she desperately needed some new ones.  I had to pay upfront for the glasses, which cost £124, more than I had hoped. She'll get them next week, all being well.

With regard to other discretional spending, I spent more this month than last month. I think that being on a tight budget for two months led me to a bit of break out spending on a couple of occasions.  Not large sums, but when added together they did add up to almost twice as much as last month.

I took another week off work towards the end of February. Once again, I found myself with very little money to spend on my week off, so I didn't end up doing anything particularly exciting. I mainly stayed home and spent lots of time sewing, which in itself was quite a treat. At least this didn't actually cost anything and I got to finish a project or two.

We were going to go away for a weekend whilst I was off work, but the first weekend Storm Eunice hit, so it wasn't good timing to go to the coast. It also coincided with half term, so prices were exhorbitant and availability was limited. In the end, we didn't bother, which did give me and OH more time to spend on projects at home. Besides, it's no fun going away when you have no money to spend.

In terms of the budget, most of the categories for this month were overspent, some by more than others. Two categories came in under, these being food and home.

Food - £384.83 spent (Budget £400)  = -£15.17

Household - £67.72 spent (Budget £50) = +£17.72

Misc - £168.87 spent (Budget £50) = +£118.87 - This expenditure included LB's new glasses at £124.

Home & Garden - £11.57 spent (Budget £50) = -£38.43

My Personal - £97.41 spent (Budget £50) = +£47.41 - This expenditure always includes gym classes which I spent £32 on this month.

Gifts - £67.26 spent (No budget currently)

On account of my credit card expenditure this month, I'll be having another low spend month in March, but there will be room for a small amount of discretional spending, which might help me avoid any more unbudgeted lapses. March, however, is a long month, so I can't promise budgetary success, as I know myself well enough by now. To try to distract myself from spending I'm going to continue to focus on finishing some sewing and other projects in March, energy levels willing.

In addition, I will be putting £50 away each month from now on, towards paying for Christmas and birthday presents, to avoid getting into this ridiculous situation again at the beginning of next year. I guess sometimes, you just have to dig in and get through tough financial patches. Forward planning helps, and that's why I intend to do more of it going forward. Being on the back foot financially, is not a comfortable or enjoyable place to be.

I hope that February has been a good month for you financially.





1 comment:

  1. Even though you have ended up with the budget going over, you seem to be really on the ball with it and the saving of £50 is a great idea! I don't really know what I'm spending each month so I should try being more diligent with keeping track.
    Sorry you didn't get away but glad you had fun sewing. Sometimes it's nice being at home being able to do what you want!
    We spent loads of money in Antwerp so I'm very much behind financially this month!

    ReplyDelete