Friday 25 February 2022

Lockdown Quilt Project Update

Back in March 2021, during the third Lockdown here in the UK, I posted about a new quilting project that I had started, mainly to help keep me sane, but also to try to use up some of the fabrics in my huge fabric stash. 

The project itself, was to make another king sized quilt for a bed, but this time I used brick shaped paper pieces to create the different fabric bands of the quilt top. I did this, because it would take longer to complete and keep me occupied during the last few weeks of Lockdown.

I did a bit of work on it before returning to work in April, but for the first month after going back to work, I didn't really pick it up at all. Once I got back into the routine of work, I started to enjoy doing a bit of work on it in the evenings whilst watching TV or on my days off. I always find it very therapeutic to hand sew anything. 

This last week, when I've been off work, I've managed to find the time to finish this project. I just needed to add the backing, quilt the large rows and then add the binding. It felt good to finally get it finished.

The project itself involved creating approximately 600 paper pieces that I hand cut, basted and then pieced together to form the quilt top. It was a lot of work, probably the most pieces that I've ever pieced together for a quilt top, but I really enjoyed the process.

I used mainly ditsy prints from my stash, including the odd vintage Laura Ashley print and I enjoyed selecting the fabrics. It was a real stash buster, which was very satisfying.

Once I'd hand sewn the quilt top, I could remove the paper and sew the finished quilt top to the vintage green woollen blanket that I used as wadding. You will see it here in the photograph, underneath the finished quilt top.


Once the quilt top was finished, it took a good six months before I returned to the project, as things at work just got too busy. Also, I didn't have a fabric in my stash that was wide enough to use as a backing fabric.

Eventually, I decided to use a red mini polka dot print fabric that I had enough yardage of, to piece together and make a backing from. The join didn't show too badly, once the respective parts of the quilt were machine quilted together. This saved me from buying any more fabric, which I was reluctant to do, as I still have so much in my stash.

I utilised one of the fabrics I used for the top, to bind the edges of the quilt and I'm pretty happy with the result. It's not perfect, but it's only for home use, so I can live with a few flaws.

Here's a picture of the finished quilt:


As you might have gathered, I really enjoy making quilts. It is a happy place for me. There is no better feeling than sleeping snuggled under a quilt you've made yourself. What better way to enjoy fabrics that you love, than to wake up underneath them every morning. They make for a very cosy night's sleep and they make me smile, as I recall the satisfaction I got from making them.

I've already started on my next hand sewn quilt, but I do need to finish a couple of unfinished projects before I really get stuck into it. I'll post once I make some progress worth photographing.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt - I love the colours and brick design - it must be a real pleasure to snuggle underneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one fabulous quilt and so much love and hard work has gone into the making… you are one talented lady x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks brilliant and perfect timing to use up hours stuck at home, should last for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love It!!! You did a super job!
    My family friend Norma used to make quilts and I feel nostalgic when I see them!

    ReplyDelete