Saturday 9 January 2021

Rumbling On

The first week of Lockdown is rumbling on. I had a reasonable day on Thursday and was pretty productive. I dutifully did my exercises, washed up the dishes from the previous evening, cleared the washing from the drying rack, put all the ironing I'd completed the previous day away, and then did a new wash load and hung it out. Just the daily grind really, but it helps to give a kind of structure to the day.

I wasn't in a great mood, what with the world events of the previous night and some stuff that LB was finding herself involved in on social media. There's been a couple of issues in the last week, which has been quite worrying. 

In the afternoon, I decided to hand sew a row of the quilt that I started working on after the first lockdown. I haven't picked it up for probably 6 months. It took a couple of hours to hand sew the one row, but I just fancied doing something slow and contemplative and it fit the bill perfectly. I figure that if I do one row per week (there's 4 left to do and then the binding), it will keep me occupied for quite a while during this lockdown, which, lets face it, is going to go on for at least another 6 weeks if not more and thus spreading it out this way, will help keep me occupied for longer. Better this than putting pressure on myself to do some of it everyday and finish it quickly, as some days I'm just not in the mood.

OH set aside some time on Thursday to carry on with the decorating, and virtually got all the prep done in the upper part of the hall. This means that he will be able to paint it very soon. As I write, he's now painting it. It's exciting, seeing it being transformed. 

Back to Thursday, when I got back from the dog walk, I vacuumed the stairs which was a mess from all the prep work, so OH had a clear space for the painting. We can eek painting the woodwork out over a few weeks too, to ensure we/I have things to do throughout the lockdown, but we're going to have to take the carpet up to do it.  I won't be sorry to see it go, it's a mess anyway.

In the evenings, we are currently watching The Serpent on iPlayer, about a serial killer in Thailand. Not very nice, but oddly watchable and quite nerve wracking. On Netflix, I'm part way through Bridgerton, which I consider to be a bit of a historical romp, rather than a serious historical drama. Quite entertaining though. Other than this, we're watching University Challenge still as a family and I'm slowly working my way through the latest series of Escape to the Chateau DIY, whenever I've got ironing to do. We have two boxed sets of The Sopranos to watch at some point, but just need to reconnect the DVD player in order to do so. It was disconnected during the last lockdown, when we decorated the living room, and remains so.

Yesterday, I finished my current book and have started another about the fashion industry.  I had to venture out to do a food shop too, which I didn't particularly enjoy, due to the high virus figures here in London and the inability of some people to social distance, but the fridge was virtually empty, and the freezer was not much better. I didn't get too much stuff to put in the freezer and cupboards, as I still want to eat up what was already in them before buying more. I mainly bought fresh stuff to keep us going for a week or so and a few bits we'd run out of altogether. I'm beginning to think it's getting too risky to even venture out to food shop, especially with London in a 'state of emergency'.

It's a very strange existence at the moment. I heard from a friend this morning to say her partner currently has Covid. Luckily he's recovering at home and hasn't been hospitalised and she doesn't appear to have caught it. At the moment we're just trying to get through it as best we can, trying to stay positive and busy(ish). I think I've got a better balance and acceptance of things this third time around. Finally.

Anyway, my bulk household order arrived this morning, so we are all stocked up on most stuff we need, which is a relief. I just need to go out next week to get a cake for LB's birthday, but it should be a quick in and out of the supermarket. I thought about making one, but I no longer have any cake tins.

I hope you are all keeping and coping well in this lockdown and finding plenty of things to occupy you.


5 comments:

  1. Boredom is the issue, and having plenty of time, jobs can be put off, like you I am trying to keep on top of everything. I look out at our garden and I'm itching to get out there, too cold and early in the year, but still I can watch the birds and plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite enjoyed Bridgerton. Now I will need to see if I can find Serpent.

    Like you I have a feeling our restrictions here in my little corner of Canada are going to continue for a bit longer. We will find out on the 15th of this month if there is an extension.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking to create some structure to my days at the moment and hoping to do this before we return to the decorating. Hope you post some pictures of your quilt - I love to see what people are making I find it motivates me to do more. Stay safe down there in London x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, a routine or at least some structure is very helpful.

    Knowing that PE With Joe was starting this week I decided to make 9am my exercise time beforehand, so I could just slip into it when it started. It's working well as I have a decent amount of time to get the morning things done before my workout. It's a small thing with a big benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that everything with LB on social media is ok. My husband is head of year of year 11 and he has dealt with SO many things over his 4 years with this year group in terms of social media so I am not surprised to hear it continues into older years.
    Your things to do sounds a good idea!
    I felt the same as you about the Serpent-so compelling but my stomach churned all the time!

    ReplyDelete