Monday 4 January 2021

Getting It Together

So, we're a few days into the New Year, and I have to be honest, I haven't done very much in the past few days. In fact, I was starting to get a bit frustrated, at the time stretching out before I go back to work. This morning, I decided enough was enough, I needed to get into some sort of routine, if I'm going to get through this time at home mentally intact.

The first thing I decided to do was to get back into an exercise routine. I'm really missing my cycle to work three days a week. It meant that I didn't really have to think about any other exercise, but with that not happening, I have resumed the short exercise routine that I started during the first lockdown. 

Just 20 minutes of stretches and other exercises on a mat in the bedroom. It's amazing how much better I feel for just doing that. This time around, I made a note in my phone of all the exercises in the routine, as I'd forgotten some of them since I did them last. I may add new ones as I get back into shape, but for now the list is pretty long, although it doesn't take too long to do.

This time around, I don't have the previous time pressure of the dog waiting for her walk, as OH has started doing the morning dog walk and I do the afternoon one. This makes the exercises more enjoyable, as I can take as long as I want.

Next, I wrote a list of potential daily tasks I can do when I'm feeling bored or don't know what to do with my time. It's not written in stone and I don't have to accomplish all or any of them, it's just a guide if I want motivation. Some things are one offs, such as taking down the Xmas decorations, putting them back in the loft and wrapping LB's birthday presents, others are ongoing things that I can do, such as washing/ironing, painting the woodwork in the hall, sewing sections of the unfinished quilt, watching recorded episodes of the new series of Escape to the Chateau DIY.

Talking of the decorating, OH and I did get around to a bit more painting in the last week. OH applied a new coat of wipeable emulsion onto the walls in the hall and we both painted the first coat onto some of the woodwork, so it is slowly coming along. I've ordered some more paint samples for the vestibule wall, so progress is being made, but painting is so boring.  I can only do a couple of hours at a time. The results are satisfying though. It helps if I think of it as taking care of our assets.

I'm also looking forward to getting the living room back to normal and taking down the Xmas decorations. I normally wait until Twelfth night, but I'm not sure I can stick it out this year and I am thinking of doing it today. They went up a bit early this year, so maybe they can come down early.

Yesterday, we popped to B&Q to take a look at the radiators they sell there these days. We are thinking of replacing the panel radiator in the hall, for something a bit more interesting. Unfortunately, OH didn't like the designer ones they sell, so we're going to take a look at the column radiators they now sell, which are similar to cast iron Victorian ones and should suit our Victorian terraced house. We need to go to a bigger store to see them though. 

In the end, all we came away with was a bag of ericaecious compost, for OH to pot on some blueberry plants we have outside the back door. We needed some, so it wasn't a wasted journey. I managed to resist buying any more plants, but only just.

My low buy is going well enough so far. I've only spent money on gifts for LB's 18th birthday, homewares we needed (some new roasting dishes from Lidl £3.99), paint samples and food. I do have an order sat in my basket for bulk household products we're running out of, but I haven't placed it yet and might not do so.

OH and I have had colds this Christmas. To make sure it wasn't anything more serious, OH took a Covid test, as he had a bad cough, but got a negative result thankfully.  To be honest, we don't see anyone anyway, only on dog walks and then we keep our distance. It's so difficult to tell whether you've just got a cold or anything more serious at the moment and the system is under such pressure, especially here in London.

I'm hoping that now I've got myself in a better frame of mind, the time on furlough will pass much more pleasantly. Why can't I just enjoy it?, you're probably asking. I wish I knew the answer to that myself, but I am trying this time around. I do realise how lucky I am to be paid to stay at home.






3 comments:

  1. We just received negative results from test, whilst having bad colds. I'm feeling positive at the moment, but I was expecting the numbers to be high in January and February, we just stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. List maker and follower here. I really feel guilty when I don't get everything crossed off my list. Must learn that there is always tomorrow.

    How long are you locked down for?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at least until the end of February, if not longer. At least I should be able to get more things done at home.

      Delete