Sunday 20 December 2020

What A Difference A Day Makes

Well, after posting yesterday about having my Christmas work rota all sorted, it came as a surprise when later that afternoon, we found ourselves in Tier 4 and closing up the shop for Christmas. I'd only the day before put a post on Facebook to let our customers know that we were open right up until Xmas Eve and have subsequently had to post that we are now closed until further notice.

It's heartbreaking really, for so many businesses that were relying on the money that would come in during the last week before Christmas and for those that didn't manage to get out of London in time, or chose not to, and won't be able to see their families over Christmas. I feel for them.

As far as we're concerned, it doesn't really affect us too much.  OH did have a client visit organised for this week, but this will obviously have to be cancelled.  LB had already finished college, so it just means no meeting up with friends for a while.

For me, I get to spend the whole of Christmas at home with my family, which I really can't complain about at all. Christmas starts here for me. I'm taking today to just take it easy and then from tomorrow, I will be starting to get on top of the cleaning and other jobs I haven't finished yet.

I understand the situation will be reviewed on 30th December, but judging by the crowded stations and trains leaving London last night, I think the virus might have been spread out to other areas and may take a while longer to get under control. Let's hope not.

In the light of Matt Hancock's comments about the new mutation of the virus being much more virulent and  'out of control' and that 'we should all act as if we have the virus', I'm staying very close to home for the forseeable. When I do go out with the dog, I've even taken to wearing a mask outside, especially where I am passing lots of people on the pavement and in the park.

It's hard to believe that it's come to this so quickly after the last lockdown. It just shows how determined and persistent the virus is in trying to disrupt our lives.

Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. I do really feel for businesses that really do count on the Christmas business for their survival. I did some clearing out in the garage earlier- got rid of a whole load of teacher training paper work and I've got two enormous bags of craft stuff which I am hoping to donate to a voluntary organisation such as Girl's Brigade, Scouts, a SEN organisation or something- it feels good to have downsized my craft collection and I hope to find happy recipients for it.
    The virus really is persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one good thing I read today was that the vaccine works on this strain as well.

    We will be entering a little more serious series of new regulations at midnight on the 24th. Those will be in effect until the 15th of January. I would love to be able to stay out of the stores until that point in time.

    Yep, time to get the last minute things completed before the day.

    Stay safe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete