Sunday 27 December 2020

Post-Christmas Post

Although the Christmas holidays don't officially end until Monday evening, in our household it is back to normal today.  Back to normal eating, although we will be trying to eat up any left overs over the coming week. The rich food at Christmas always takes it's toll a little and this year is no exception. Two days of feasting is more than enough.

Obviously, it's not back to normal everyday life, as we're still in Tier 4 and can't actually go out and do much other than go for a walk with the dog and get some fresh air, or go and buy groceries, but it's as normal as it can be at this time.

Christmas was lovely and chilled and quiet.  I think we all enjoyed not having to travel to visit family, although we do enjoy seeing everyone at Christmas. For once, we could stay put and not feel like we were missing out on the family festivities. I know for a fact that LB really enjoyed staying put and she's loving her new cosy tartan M&S pyjamas and tartan brushed cotton bedding, so I got something right this year.

I did overbuy on food, I have to admit, but most of it can be kept and used at a later date. I think putting a bit aside every week when I did the shopping, caused me to gather up too much, but we'll try not to waste any of it and some things could be given to the food bank if we don't feel like eating them.

We haven't really watched too much TV this year, mainly because there wasn't really much that we fancied watching. This year's favourite programme (apart from the Motherland Christmas edition) has been Christmas University Challenge.  We all get together on the sofa and get points for the questions we answer correctly.  OH always wins, but it's a fun family activity.

I'm still working on completing my Winter in Central Park 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. It's a difficult one this year and is taking an age. It will probably keep me going right up to New Year, which is fine by me. I love the simplicity of completing jigsaws, so relaxing. It's keeping me off the computer too, which is a good thing. It's amazing how much entertainment a few pounds can buy. It does feel strange not going back to work though, but I am grateful for extended time with my loved ones.

I've finally accepted this year, that I am definitely an over giver when it comes to gifts at Christmas. It was brought home to me on a few occasions. I don't really regret anything I bought and most of the items were requested or super practical, but it is perhaps something that I should get under control in the future. I just love Christmas and gift giving and opening. I can't help myself. I admire people who can just give one item and receive one item, but I just can't do it myself. I'm getting better in some ways, but there's much more improvement that can be made.

I am, however, going to try to wrap things more sustainably next year. We had a huge bag of wrapping paper to recycle this year, which isn't good. On the plus side, there was probably only a large crisp packet sized bag of non-recyclable materials, which was better. I kept any ribbons and tags for re-use next year. I've stopped writing on gift tags, so that I can re-use them, and usually make any cards we receive into tags for the following year.  I ended up with a huge gift box full of re-usables, which was satisfying, some of which had been used the previous year. Just the paper I need to work on, so I might try to use Christmas fabric next year, as I have lots in my fabric stash and it all needs using for something. LB handmade Christmas cards for OH and I this year and they were exquisite. She also made tags for our presents last year, which were super cute and were re-used again this year, so I might get her to make some for everyone for next year.

By the time Christmas is over, I do wonder what all the fuss and stress is about. Some of my favourite things have been so simple, such as listening to Handel's Messiah whilst walking the dog and having family a Banagrams championship - champion still to be decided.

Present wise, I've now got a couple of good books to read including an essential one on how not to kill my house plants (I'm failing at this already), Handel's Messiah on vinyl, Doris Day DVDs to watch, a milk frother for fancy coffee and hot chocolate (not tried it out yet, but LB has), a few toiletries, socks, a voucher for M&S, a new back light for my bike and a cycling snood, the usual chocolates (though not too many thankfully) and I am awaiting the sewing machine I requested to come back into stock at Argos.  Who knew there was a run on buying sewing machines? I should have known, what with lockdown and all. There's no rush though, but it would be good to get it before I go back to work, so that I can try to finish the final quilt I've started.

Talking of quilts, the dog seems happy with hers and has been sleeping on it in her basket. She was probably the most excited amongst us on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and had to open her treats on Christmas Eve, as the smell was driving her crazy. We avoided crackers this year, as she hates them and gets scared by the bang. I can't say we really missed them that much, save for the personalised ones I usually make for each of us for Xmas dinner, but we managed without.

It's interesting how holed up in your home over Christmas, you can almost forget that there's a virus rampaging out there. I know it's been a difficult Christmas for many people, who may have had a lonely time, and I hope anyone who didn't get to see their loved ones for the duration, will get to see them very soon.

I'm now starting to look forward to the New Year. LB's 18th birthday is two weeks into the year and it seems like it might be a very strange special birthday for her, as I don't see the Tier 4 restrictions being lifted any time soon. We'll have to think of some way to make it as special as we can. Hopefully, she'll be able to make up for it later.

I hope you've all had a peace filled Christmas and I look forward to reading your posts in 2021.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as if your Christmas was full of love, joy and peace. The perfect way to spend the day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas sounds great and well done on the tartan pjs and bedding- sounds a great choice!
    I am an overgiver too I think- not necessary expensive, but lots of things. That said, I've tried only to buy things people want, that they can wear, eat or use or read and they have generally been well received.
    I really loved all my Christmas presents.
    I've really liked lounging around between Christmas and for the last 5 days we've had a walk out every day and it has been fab!

    ReplyDelete