Monday 21 May 2018

This Weekend

After two weekends where I've been working all weekend, it was wonderful this weekend not to have to go to work. The weekend always start s for me when I get home from work at 8ish on Friday night and we have our regular Pizza night. I always like to watch Monty on Gardener's World to inspire me to get out into the garden. Then we watched the new series of The Bridge, which we just love.

On Saturday morning, I made sure to have a long lie in, the first in ages, followed by a leisurely morning pottering around the house and garden. I weeded one of the raised beds, sowed some more salad seeds into it and harvested the first of our salad crop.

When OH came back from walking the dog, he wanted to go over to the allotment to water the potatoes, so I accompanied him and did a bit of weeding and harvesting of the rhubarb, which had gone mad. The plot itself was not looking too bad and we've got tomato plants, cucumbers and courgettes to go in yet, when they are big enough and there is no further risk of frost. I'll post some pictures when it's fully cultivated.

Once back from the allotment I found that I had received a statement from my current work pension provider, which made interesting reading. It's great to be receiving free money by way of my employer's contributions into the fund. Definitely worth taking advantage of.

For lunch, it was bacon sandwiches all round whilst I sat down to watch the Royal Wedding.  I can't say that I've been following the press coverage in recent weeks, so I didn't even know what time it started. As a consequence, I missed the lead up and the first 10 minutes of the service and had to catch up later in the day.  I enjoyed what I did see though. Fabulous weather for a wedding.

After lunch, OH started to do some more work on the kitchen, fitting some of the cupboard storage solutions that we bought on Thursday from IKEA, namely some pull out baskets to hold the cupboard contents. We already have some of these fitted in our pan cupboard and they make it much easier to get to things at the back of the cupboard. I assisted by refilling the cupboards after the baskets had been fitted and it finally feels like the kitchen is coming together a little more now. I did find that quite a few things wouldn't fit into the cupboards once we'd fitted the baskets, so it was a good opportunity to declutter a few things that we rarely use.

OH also rehung the clock and a picture that we had hanging in the kitchen.  They went back in different places though to change things up a bit. I also ordered some drawer organisers on eBay on Saturday, to better organise the cutlery drawer and the kitchen junk drawer. I'm determined to get things in proper order once and for all this time around.

Later, we decided to have a BBQ supper, so I headed out to the supermarket for the things we needed. I also had to buy some cards and a bottle of whisky, because it was OH's birthday on Sunday.

On Sunday itself, I didn't go to the gym as usual, due to the fact that it was the local Half Marathon Day and some of the roads were blocked off, which made my route to the gym very long. I didn't fancy spending two or more hours stuck in traffic, so I cancelled and gave it a miss. OH was supposed to be running it this year, but after damaging his knee after running in New York earlier in the year, he has conceded that running isn't great for him and I for one am relieved, because he was mighty grumpy for a month or so until his knee recovered.

Anyway, this meant that I could take a leisurely walk with the dog and then wrap up OH's presents, which he opened after he got back from his early Sunday morning bike ride. I didn't do a whole lot in the afternoon, but I did get stuck into a fiction book for the first time in months. I picked up Anne Tyler's  A Patchwork Planet and I'm really enjoying it. I've been reading non-fiction for months now and to be honest, I'm just a little tired of it and fancied something a little more fanciful.

I turned out to be a lovely leisurely weekend, with some progress being made on the kitchen and we finished it off by watching the new series of A Handmaid's Tale.

This week I'm at work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, so today was spent grocery shopping, going to the gym, doing odd domestic tasks, so that I leave the house in a tidy state when I disappear off to work for two days. I also took an hour to complete a Health and Safety course on line for work, which had been sat in my inbox for a couple of weeks and had a deadline looming.

Courtesy of Lidl, it was Tapas for supper, which is a rare treat, before completing the washing up and having a bath in readiness for work tomorrow. Monday nights have become the new Sunday night for me, when I get myself and my act together for the working week ahead. I hope you had a great weekend.



3 comments:

  1. It really sounds like you got a lot done. Mmm, what sort of Tapas was it?
    Your allotment sounds impressive. I never have any luck with courgettes- the snails have eaten my first plant and the other is bloomin well taking its time in the pot on the windowsill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a great deal accomplished this weekend.

    I like the Bridge as well so will have to see if I can find the newest season here on Netflix or my android box.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had some time to relax which is good x

    ReplyDelete