Thursday 17 May 2018

A New Week and a Surprise Discovery

Apologies for the distinct lack of posts this last week or two, this was due to the fact that  I was working solidly from Thursday to Sunday in the Manager's absence.  Monday I spent going to the gym and grocery shopping and Tuesday (or part of it) was spent being interviewed for my job. I did get it thankfully, so I'm happy to have a paid job for another 12 months. I'm also grateful that the whole recruitment process is over, as it was eating into my days off  what with having to complete applications, attend interviews, etc., although don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the opportunity to re-apply for paid work.

Just before my interview on Tuesday, I took the dog out for a walk as usual, and came across a litter of kittens in the bushes alongside the footpath. They weren't really hidden, as I'd expect them to be if left there by their mother, they were just huddled together shivering and a magpie was squawking above them in a tree, which is what alerted me to their presence.

I stopped and looked in at them and they all climbed out and started circling me.  They were obviously not feral and definitely not scared of humans. I called OH to come over with a box.  A few people came over and we were all discussing what to do with them. We're pretty sure they'd been dumped, as I don't think a cat would leave her litter in such a public place, where people with dogs pass by constantly. They were probably about 4 or so weeks old.  Way too young to be left alone in the open with foxes and other potential predators around.

We decided to take them to a rehoming charity, so OH drove them 10 miles away to one who was happy to take them.  They were so sweet. Here's a few pictures of them.



Once in the box they all really settled down and made themselves comfortable.  I think they were really frightened out in the big wide world alone.

I think we did the right thing, but I do keep thinking of the poor mother cat who must be shocked to have suddenly been parted from her kittens. We keep returning to the place we found them to check there's no notice or mother cat, but there's nothing. Hopefully they will be well cared for and find loving homes.

It took my mind off my interview anyway, but the excitement was just too much for the dog.  She couldn't settle to going for her walk after finding them and had to come home with us.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting the position. I knew you would.

    Those poor kitties, I hope they find good homes as they look so sweet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete