Saturday 19 May 2018

Kitchen Update

As  I've mentioned a few times, the kitchen renovation is coming along pretty slowly.  It's back to being functional now though, as most of the painting has now been done and the table is back in use, so we are no longer having TV dinners.

We've spent very little on the kitchen really, maybe £1000 or so, on bits and pieces.  New paint of course, new light fittings and bulbs over the table, new sockets and switches down one side of the room, new LED under cupboard lighting (this was the most expensive thing), new curtain (which I'd bought a couple of years ago and just needed to re-hem), new tap (this will be the most expensive thing when we get it) and under sink composting caddy holder, new colour co-ordinated glass splashback behind the hob, new bread bin and canisters, new microwave, new chopping board and condiments box and some new pull out racks for the tall utility cupboard and two of the kitchen cupboards, to make access to things at the back of the cupboards easier.  All very small changes, but ones which make the kitchen function better and look better too.

It's far from finished, but I'm enjoying the refresh.  I'm thinking of putting very few ornaments and things back on the window sills, as I like the minimal feel of the room without everything.  It does, however, feel quite echoey without any curtains currently up to absorb sound. I may change my mind about the knick knacks, but for now it's my intention not to have too many out.

On Thursday afternoon, after I returned from the gym, OH and I headed out to buy some of the above items.  We'd not had much opportunity previous to this, so it was good to finally get some of them. We struggled to find a quality tap that we both liked, so may have to resort to another trip to more expensive plumbing shops today or we may just buy one online and take a chance. I want the kind they have in the US with a pull out nozzle to spray around the sink.  We used one in the apartment in New York and I really liked it, so want to replicate it at home, but some of the ones we've seen are just too clunky and awkward to use.

I've realised that it's often the small details that make such a difference to your enjoyment of a room, and they often hardly cost anything to install. I know that some people spend tens of thousands on a kitchen, and I'd love to do that, believe me, but we just don't want to spend that at the moment, so we are just doing the best we can with what we have.

We have somehow managed to acquire a new dishwasher for free, although ours is okay and functions well.  The new one is the same brand, but a better model, so we may go with it or keep our original one, it will depend how it functions by comparison to what we have. It's nice to have the choice I guess.

A new fridge freezer may also be a consideration too, as ours has been with us for nearly 20 years and is getting a bit scuzzy. I keep looking out for one I like at the local electronics store, but haven't quite seen the right one yet.  I'm working on OH too, as he's happy with the one we have, but it has quite a small freezer compartment, which can make it quite a struggle when it comes to fitting in all those yellow stickered items and also it's not frost free, so I'd quite like to take advantage of the new technology in this area. I'll keep you posted on progress on this score.

No pictures yet I'm afraid, as there's still too much to do, but hopefully some will be coming soon.  OH is already talking about getting decorators in for any future rooms we decide to redecorate.  I don't think he's particularly enjoying the experience this time around, which is fair comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment