Sunday 6 May 2018

Freebies, Frugal Measures and Frugal Fails - April 2018

Freebies and Frugal Measures

1) I found a free raised bed surround for the allotment, that someone threw out on the street. I placed it next to the pallet decking (that I got from a neighbour the other week) and planted dahlia tubers into it. It helps to add a bit of structure and interest to the plot, gives it another life thus avoiding it going to landfill for a while and also should hopefully help to provide me with some cut flowers eventually.

2) Some of the bulbs I sowed last month and thought might be too old, are now growing well, which is encouraging.

3) I received four vouchers in the post from Waitrose this month, for £10 off £50 shops over the next few weeks.  They came just as a my Tesco vouchers ran out, so guess where I'll be going shopping for the next few weeks (for some of my grocery shopping!!).

4) Talking of which, I made sure I picked up a free newspaper and magazine for being a My Waitrose member, when I did one grocery shop at Waitrose this month.

5) I qualified for a free cotton shopper when I spent over £15 at Superdrug's Pop Up Vegan Beauty shop this month.  I'm sure it will come in useful and at least it isn't plastic.


Frugal Fails

1) I left my favourite umbrella on the bus on the way to work one day, which was really annoying. It is the second umbrella of it's kind that I have left somewhere and lost and I will have to buy a new one when I next travel up north.

2) Sadly, the majority of the seeds I sowed into the raised garden beds seem not to have germinated.  Only two lots of seeds have. The seeds must have been old, so I had to buy more and re-sow the beds. The new seeds have now germinated which is good. Sometimes, sowing old or previously opened seed packets just doesn't pay.

3 comments:

  1. My seeds are the same sadly. I might be a bit late in sowing new ones so going to look for some baby plants. Well done on the good find of the raised bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a shame about the umbrella- I have lost SO many lovely umbrellas and it is INFURIATING every time it happens! Two, we have NO idea where they went.
    I just sowed some old rocket seeds today so I hope they work!! The vouchers sound very worth it- that's a big saving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey found out the hard way that sowing old seed doesn't always work, or comes in very spotty. One year he had to reseed the carrots three times!!

    Sorry you lost your umbrella. I have left coats behind and when I returned they were gone, never to be seen again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete