Wednesday 21 February 2018

Loving Lately - Books, Films and Social Media

I'm not a person who spends hours on my phone on social media, but I do like to read blogs, watch YouTube videos and now listen to podcasts (especially when on the bus to work). I also love to read books as you probably know and often have two or three on the go at once. In addition, on our flight to the US I got to watch a few good movies (my screen didn't work on the way home!), so I want to mention a couple of those too.

So, for anyone interested, here are a few new discoveries that I'm finding interesting at the moment:

On YouTube, I've just subscribed to Kim on Free to Frugal, whose videos talk about ways to save money, create wealth and be intentional about spending.  A native New Yorker, now living in Arizona, her videos are interesting and informative and although I've only watched a couple so far, I'm enjoying her channel.

Podcasts I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment include Mad Fientist who talks about Financial Independence, The Money Nerds Podcast, Be Wealthy and Smart and the Disruptive Entrepreneur, which are all mainly financial podcasts and fascinate me at the moment.

In addition, I also like to listen to Oprah's Super Soul Conversations, some of which are fantastic and the Tim Ferris Show (although these do tend to be very long, which can be prohibitive at times). I also like The James Altucher Show and listen to some of his podcasts on occasion as he interviews some interesting people.

I am subscribed to many more but these are the main contenders for my time and ear.

Blogging wise, I haven't really added any blogs to my reading list.  It is already very extensive and my favourites are you guys out there, who know who you are. I like to keep track with what's going  on in everyone's lives, so keep up the good blogging work.

On the subject of books, I've been reading a lot of financial books lately too, a current favourite being Rob Moore's, Money - How to Earn More, Save More and Give More.  A great book written by a UK writer, on the subject of personal and business finance.  He is also the producer of the Disruptive Entrepreneur podcast.

Finally, with regard to films, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, was just the best film I've watched in ages. Truly deserving of all of its BAFTA's. I also watched a couple of Tribeca Film Festival films on the plane, one The Death of a Super Hero, was very sad, but a good film too.




4 comments:

  1. Welcome back from the big apple - I am so envious of your trip and glad you had a good time over there.
    I often watch You Tube - I haven't subscribed to any chanels but just bookmark them and then set them on Autoplay to watch whilst ironing. There is so much out there and a lot of the vloggers are quite young but become quite professional in front of the camera enough to make a business out of it - I would love to have that confidence - but will just stick to my blog!
    I used to love watching the Oprah Show when I was at home during the 90's - shame they don't run it on TV anymore I learnt a lot back then. She often had financial advisors on the show - Suze Orman was one of them - I thought she had good advice but recently she has been in the news for being a bit of a fake - still some of her tips worked for me. It is the same with that health guy on TV at the moment Joe Wickes - I thought his methods seemed quite doable but then I find he is also being called a con artist by other fitness trainers!! It leads me feeling a bit disillusioned at times that you cannot trust anyone but you can always take something helpful away from what they are saying. I will have a look at some of your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is difficult to know if people are genuine, but I try to stick to quite down to earth vloggers who tend to be older. I have a huge subscription list but don't always watch every video, just the ones that appeal. To be honest I think there's a lot presenting only what you want people to see with any social media genre, (blogger included and I'm probably as guilty of this myself as anyone is) so I just take away things that are relevant to me and don't take it all that seriously.

      There is a lot of money being earned on YouTube, and a lot of subliminal and in your face advertising to get beyond. My daughter has a channel and earns more than she gets in pocket money every month. I find it fascinating, but don't think I could ever do it myself. I don't even feel like I want to monetise my blog. The YouTuber mentioned in this post has posted an interesting video about earnings on YouTube and about her first YouTube cheque. Try to watch it, because it gives you some idea how difficult it is to actually make videos too.

      Delete
  2. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! buy dvd modern family season 9

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. buy dvd yellowstone season 1

    ReplyDelete