Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Great Household Cleaning and Product Challenge - Month 8 - The End

I didn't quite it to the end of the month in this challenge as there was just £8.78 in the kitty for the month and I spent all of this money, plus a bit more, so the challenge has finally ended.   Frankly, it's quite a relief to finish it, albeit 4 months early.

Expenditure this month was on:

Toilet Rolls x 36 - £5.85 - I was back to using Lidl Simply... and ASDA Smart Price, which work out a touch more expensive.  I was hoping to scrape through the month by buying a basic four pack towards the end, but they were out of stock so I had to go for the larger pack of 12.  I was, however, shocked to see how the price in ASDA for the basic 4 pack had jumped from 67p last time I bought them, to 99p now.  Dear, dear.  Just as well the challenge is over.

Wash Liquid - £2.39 - I tried the Lidl own brand Formil wash liquid this month and found it very efficient and good value for money, so I may buy this again in the future.

Toilet Cleaning Wipes - £1.25 - This was my only indulgence in terms of non-essentials and was bought for convenience, which I know is a poor excuse, but sometimes it is handy just to have something that you can quickly clean the toilet with before visitors descend.

Total Spent - £9.49

Final total expenditure for the challenge stands at £125.71/£125 in just 8 months out of the 12.

I have completely run out of quite a few things now i.e. kitchen foil, kitchen roll, brillo pads. and was virtually out of many others i.e. hand wash, washing up liquid, disinfectant, toilet cleaner, but made do as long as I possibly could.

I will need to do a bit of a restock now the challenge is over, but will only be buying things I am completely out of.  No more over stocking for me from now on.  All part of curing myself of my hoarding tendencies, in the hope it will continue to filter through to other areas of my life.  My new mantra being - Buy Only What You Need - and what you will use in the immediate future.  At least the challenge, although not completed successfully, has taught me something about my spending patterns and behaviour, that I can now work to improve on, so it has been a worthwhile endeavour in some senses.

2 comments:

  1. I could probably do £100 for the year, but NO WAY including toilet rolls lol - husband eats them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder where they disappear to in this house.

      Delete