Thursday 10 April 2014

Getting Back Into My Dressmaking Groove

At long last I finally seem to be getting back to doing some dressmaking and it is about time too.  I made a couple of skirts last spring/summer and then apart from a few snoods, I stopped making anything.  I'm hoping that the same behaviour pattern does not recur this year.

At the very end of last month I made a pencil skirt and then after watching the GB Sewing Bee semi- final last week, I popped up to the sewing room to get started on my next dressmaking project.  This one was another skirt, but an A-line one this time, using a striking print in waxed cotton. 

I loved the luxurious colours in the fabric, which I picked up at a charity shop for a couple of pounds.  I think it is an African waxed cotton, which you see quite a lot of in East London, as many colourful traditional outfits are made with it and worn by African women when they attend church on a Sunday.  I have long admired some of the designs I have seen in some of the fabric shops. 

There was just enough of this fabric to make this skirt, which I have made before in several different fabrics.  It's an old and trusted favourite.  As I wanted the print running in a certain direction, I didn't lay the pattern out along the grain line, so I'm not sure what the consequences of this might be once it has been washed.  Matching the print was a bit tricky.  I was able to match it at the back reasonably well, by cutting the back pieces separately, and the front was one full piece, but at the sides it was harder as I didn't have enough extra fabric to play around with when laying out the pattern.  Regardless of this, I was quite happy with the outcome.  I am wearing it today for the first time, with some matching purple pumps I bought from Primark for walking the dog.  Here's a picture of the finished result. 


For my next project I think I need to step out of my comfort zone a little and make something I've never attempted before.   Not sure quite what yet.  I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

  1. I loved the Sewing Bee - this series even more so, and felt so inspired to sew again. After my big machine died I never replaced it, opting for a mini craft type instead ... but I would like to make clothes and so better get saving up. I love the fabric you used for the skirt. That is the best thing, when you can make a favourite shape in many fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks. I've worn it today and it's been very comfortable. It will be interesting to see how it washes as a waxed fabric it starts off a bit stiff and then tends to soften a bit when washed. Good luck with your dressmaking. I don't have a particularly fancy machine and only ever use a couple of stitches. I must admit that I would love an all singing, all dancing quilting model, but whilst this one still works okay I guess I will just make do with it.

      Delete
  2. That's gorgeous! So colourful! Wish i could find fabrics like that in the charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I just got a bit lucky. I've had it a while and wasn't really sure what to do with it until just recently.

      Delete
  3. That's pretty snazzy dog walking gear! Beats my worn out jeans for style that's for sure. And purple shoes you say. Nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can imagine it wasn't intended as dog walking clothing, but as it's something I do every day then most of my clothes could strictly be classed as that now.

      Another dog walker did mention the fact that I didn't have my wellies on this morning. They must have noticed the shoes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. At least I don't think I'll see anyone wearing the same thing!

      Delete