Thursday 9 May 2013

Making the Most of May

Following on from a very busy and productive April, I thought I had better think a little bit about what I want to achieve in May.  The months are passing by so quickly this year, it is hard to believe we're here already.

May is the month of my partner's birthday, so that is perhaps one of the main focuses of this month financially.  I have started to buy the odd present for him, and he has now given me a good idea for something that he would like as a gift, he's not a person that really needs much.  I do like to get him nice presents though as I think birthdays are special days.

Aside from this major birthday, and an annual renewal of a policy that is due, I don't have many other outstanding events or expenses that necessitate a huge amount of money being paid out this month, so hopefully I will be able to pay off one of my credit cards again, and make a reasonable payment on the other.  I want to continue to increase no spend days and keep spending under control generally this month.  I don't rule out a few lapses in this regard though.

May, I think, is going to be a month for continuing to get my house in order and even getting ahead of myself if that is at all possible, by which I mean possibly making a start on my tax accounts for the year just ended, rather than leaving them until the last minute, which I have done for a few years now.  Now that would be great, no looming sense of doom in January knowing it needs doing.

In addition, our bedroom is perhaps the worst room in the house now, and is so cluttered with things left in there temporarily due to the building work, that it needs a good sort out and declutter to try to restore it to a restful place.  I've made inroads such as reorganising the contents of my wardrobe and drawers and sorting a few other small areas, but there is a lot of work still to do and I think I would like to improve this space next as a priority.

Horticulturally, I want to spend a bit more time at the allotment and get more things growing in the garden at home.  Finishing the last few bits of our garden that need improving such as laying more bark under the trampoline, sorting out one of the borders, getting my water butt up and working again and doing some work on the grass.  We started on these over the Bank Holiday weekend, but still have some work to do.  I would also like to plant up some hanging baskets, window boxes and pots and get some flowers and colour going on.  I've already sowed some pots of English marigolds and potted up some red geraniums and pink verbena, which should be pretty when they start to flower.  I would also like to prepare some plants for the school summer fete, although I'm not sure when it is going to be held yet.  Now I have a small greenhouse, this should be easier. 

In terms of fitness I want to keep on doing at least 4 classes per week, keep trying to cycle and walk more and keep on with the netball training that I started last month.  I would also like to spend some time on me and pamper myself a little more.  I need to paint my nails and toenails a bit more often and make myself generally more presentable for wearing lighter clothing and sandals this spring/summer.

Sewing wise, it would be fantastic if I could get back to making something, even if it is just something small like a scarf, cushion covers or a table runner for the newly decluttered dining/reception room. I'd also like to get my overlocker serviced as I can't seem to get it working properly and it is so useful when you are making clothes, especially when the fabrics fray easily.  I have a few dressmaking projects in mind for which it would be very useful indeed.  It helps to give a lovely professional finish to handmade items.

Finally, I need to spend more time on my home based business too.  It has taken a back seat this last month or so and I need to spend some time developing it and helping to get it on to a sounder financial footing.  I think  that is enough to be getting on with to keep me busy.  Have you got any aims for May that you'd like to share?  I'd be interested to hear about other peoples' to do lists for the month.

2 comments:

  1. I need a major tidy up & spring clean but no time to do it ! Wish I could get a little fairy in to do it all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be just fabulous wouldn't it. Wake up one morning and the Spring Fairy has been and removed all your dust and dirt. Someone should patent that idea.

      Delete