Sunday 5 May 2013

A Much Appreciated Treat Through the Post

At the end of 5 days getting by on £5 worth of food for the Living Below the Line challenge, I received a welcome treat through the post.

 
My monthly delivery of Grow It magazine with some free Gourmet Favourites seeds attached.  I particularly liked the look of the 'Nero Di Toscana' Kale and the 'Patty Pan Custard White' Squash.  I also liked the 'Snowball' Turnips and can't wait to get sowing them all.
 
Talking of sowings, some of my earlier sowings a few weeks ago are now starting to germinate which is very exciting.  I have seedlings of tumbling tomatoes which when larger I intend to put in a hanging basket, climbing beans, cucumber, courgette, mixed salad leaves and dahlias. 
 
 
 
 
 
These courgettes look particularly good.
 
 
 
 
 
There are a few herbs which are starting to germinate too, namely fennel, thyme and basil.
 
 
 

I particularly love growing fennel as I love the smell and the architectural nature of the plants with their feathery fronds.  I often put them in amongst flowers in a border.  These seedlings were actually grown from some seeds collected from my old allotment over 5 years ago now, which just goes to show that some seeds do last quite a long time and will still germinate.  Having said this however, I must admit that for earlier sowings this year I did use some old seeds I'd had kicking around for a while and sadly none but these germinated, so I have had a good clearout and anything I thought might be past it's best was thrown out.  I will keep these fennel seeds though as they obviously are still viable.

What are you growing at the moment?

2 comments:

  1. My fennel dominates the flowerbed under the kitchen windowsil and sends baby fennel all over the garden ! My rhubarb is up - herbs looking good.
    Sweet peas for me again this summer and some salad and spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely. I'm not having much luck with sweet peas so far as I think my seeds are old. I'm looking forward to harvesting my own salad eventually though.

      Delete