Thursday 2 May 2013

Living Below the Line - Day 4 - Diversion Therapy

Apologies if these posts are getting a bit repetitive, seems to be a common theme running through having little money to spend on food which we as a nation probably haven't had to endure in our diets in recent years, only a day or so to go.  Day three  now over and I was determined not to feel so hungry as I had been the day before.  After my morning aerobics class I came home looking forward to the fact that I was going to be having a sausage sandwich for lunch.  It's the small things that help sustain us through life.  The sausage sandwich, however, didn't quite work out as planned, mainly due to the nature of the SP sausages.  The skins disintegrated and came off as soon as they hit the frying pan so it was more of a sausage meat and onion sandwich.  The dog got the skins.  Not as nice as I'd hoped and not something I would like to eat again, but you live and learn and it helped to keep the hunger pangs at bay.

In an attempt to divert my attention from feeling hungry, I went out in the afternoon to do a few errands.   Staying in the house where there was so much food in the cupboards and the fruit bowl that I couldn't touch was tantamount to torture.  It worked though, as I didn't feel quite as hungry. 

I also had to pop to the doctors with my daughter after school, so that took my mind off food.  By the time we returned home I could start to cook my dinner of spagetti with a tomato and vegetable sauce.  After I'd cooked my daughter's, that is.  My partner likes to eat later, but I couldn't wait that long so that we could eat together as I was famished.

The spagetti turned out okay.  A little bland perhaps, despite being seasoned with pepper and herbs.  I used half the pack of spagetti, half an onion, a spoonful of kidney beans, spoonful of peas, 125ml passata and 150ml of water.  Here's a picture of it. 



I had a big portion of spagetti as planned which was good for filling me up.  There is still almost the same again in the fridge which I may use for lunch or snacking  today if I feel hungry.  I followed my portion of spagetti with a yogurt again and another cup of tea.

I used approximately 80p worth of food on Day 3 which again is well within the allowed limit.  As the week is going on I find myself really missing being able to have the odd alcoholic drink of an evening and piece of chocolate or a biscuit.  For a change tonight I made myself a lemon balm tea with some leaves from the garden and hot water.  It added a bit of variety to the drinks I've been able to have this week.

I think if I ever do this challenge again, I would definitely try to factor in more treats to keep me motivated if it is at all possible.  I might also base most of the meals around potatoes as opposed to pasta as I just think that perhaps they are more versatile, if more expensive.  I think the sausages I would exchange for bacon which can be bought cheaply for misshapen slices or offcuts and build meals around these.  Also I would spend a few extra pence and indulge in longlife milk as I made the mistake of not doing this and I think my milk is not going to last the week.  As a precaution I have frozen a few cubes for use in cups of tea.  I don't know if this will work as I've never done it before, but I'll soon find out.

Moving on, today I am toying with the idea of going back to the good old faithful ham/beef spread with onion sandwich for lunch again or alternatively some of yesterday's left over spagetti on toast.  I'm going to wait and see which I fancy the most.  Choice at last!  For my dinner I am splashing out and making a sausage casserole, which I will eat with the remaining crust of bread.  After yesterday's disaster, I will definitely roast the sausages in the oven before adding them to the casserole.  I will end the day with a quarter of a tin of rice pudding with a dollop of rhubarb jam.  I'm not exactly salivating at the prospect, but at least I might not go to bed or wake up feeling hungry.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so well. It must be hard. I haven't done the fast diet again as I've had an upset stomach for a couple of weeks & craving carbs !

    Well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is pretty tough. Mainly because of the monotomy but also because I'm used to eating what I like when I like. I guess I take it for granted that I can do that so it has made me think a lot about that. I've been toying with the idea of the 5:2 diet too and this has had the added benefit of making me think it might not be that difficult to fast (or have only 500 calories) for 2 days per week.

      I must admit I feel a bit better actually for not overeating so it might just spur me on. I think it is just the amount of thought you have to put into diets to get the right amount of calories on your plate. I've got out of the habit of it in the last 10 years. I always find it makes me hungrier thinking about it but for 2 days a week it doesn't sound so bad.

      Delete