Tuesday 7 May 2013

Charity Shop Tales 7 and Vintage Shop Shoes

On Saturday afternoon during the Bank Holiday Weekend I took a stroll up to our local shopping street.  It is becoming more and more interesting of late with lots of new vintage furniture shops opening up.  I was looking for a storage solution for the bedroom but didn't see anything and got a bit side tracked.

I decided to take a look in our local charity shop.  I don't think I've been in one much lately as I've been more interested in getting rid of clutter rather than adding to it. Well, today I was glad I did.  I ended up spending £15 in total.  I bought 2 cardigans, a top and a scarf for me and a shirt and cardigan for my daughter for this amount, plus a small wooden picture frame. 

I tried all the things for me on.  They all fitted more or less.  Well, to be honest, one of the cardigans was a little small, but as it wasn't one that fastened I still bought it as it was grey, oh so pretty, was by Cynthia Rowley and was 100% Merino wool.  Here's a photo of it on my dressmaking dummy.  It will be great for chilly spring days and cool summer evenings and only cost £3.99.



The second cardigan was grey too with coloured spots and also cost £3.99 which I thought was reasonable.  I do like a nice cardigan. 


I also bought this blue and white striped scarf which was from H&M.  I don't exactly know how much this cost as it didn't have a price on it.  Probably 50p or something similar.


The last item I bought for myself was this French Connection top with fruit all over it.  It says small on the label but it fitted me.  It is probably supposed to be super baggy, but didn't look too tight on me.  I do like it when that happens.  It makes me feel thinner than I am.  Anyway, it cost £3.50.



The two items I bought for my daughter were this Jigsaw ditsy print shirt and this Primark striped cardigan, both of which I thought she might like.






On the way back home I popped into a local vintage clothes and furniture shop to have a look around and spied these lovely white leather tasselled loafers.  I can remember having a pair in Oxblood when I was at school and always loved them.  I've wanted another pair for a while now and when I saw these I couldn't resist as they will be great for the summer.  They were £20 and the lady who runs the shop, who is French, said she bought them in France.  They are leather and in great condition considering they are white.  They were a little big, being half a size too large, but I knew I would never see another pair of such quality at such a price again so I  bought them, with the intention of adding in inner soles and gel heel cushions to make them more snug.  When I got home I had some gel soles in the cupboard so cut them down and put them in and they did feel a bit better.  I just need the heel cushions now and hopefully I'm sorted.


So, it was a pretty expensive trip to the shops, but I think good value and I'm never one to walk away from a bargain when I see one.  Have you bought anything interesting from a charity shop lately?

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cardi ! great finds there.

    I bought two brand new 100% cotton T shirt nightdresses which my neighbour donated !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, they sound great for the summer months. I wore the top grey cardigan for walking the dog this morning. I might just have to put a little hook at the bust but no great difficulty there.

      Delete
  2. You did well, reasonably priced too. My local charity shops are selling tatty Primark cardi's at £3.99!!
    I'm pretty sure your H&M scarf is this season as I was looking at exactly the same one last week, they also have it in green and white for £7.99.
    Love the Jigsaw cardigan. I worked at Jigsaw for a short time many years ago and I know that the children's clothing isn't cheap, what a very lucky daughter you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm surprised that the scarf cost that much new. I must admit that some of the charity shops do sell Primark stuff for not much less than it costs new. I think some of them have quite strict pricing policies by brand. I tend to go to the small independent charity shops as you tend to get things at better prices and I also do like a good rummage. Some charity shops today seem very sanitised and corporate and whilst I realise that a lot of customers probably prefer this, for me anyway it takes the fun out of it a little.

      Delete
  3. Great finds, it's always a thrill to me to find something in my size-being a size 18 means the choice isn't half as good as for the smaller sizes. I haven't been in charity shops for a few weeks now as the car boot season is in full swing and I've found some nice bits and pieces for next to nothing. A bonus was the bank holiday weekend which meant I got to go twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. That one near you sounds brilliant. You just can't beat a good car boot sale for finding bargains. I really need to find another local one. I must remember to google it.

      Delete