Wednesday 2 May 2018

Doing the Opposite

After agreeing with Thrift Deluxe that keeping out of the shops in the days following pay day is the best policy, I did exactly the opposite yesterday.  Call me a hypocrite, it's true, but I suddenly got the urge to get out of the house and go to the local mall.

I'd not been in a while.  I just don't have a need to go these days, as there's very little I need or want to buy, but when I get the itch, I have to scratch it.  Maybe I just wanted to know what I was missing, who knows.  Anyway, I decided I'd hop on a bus and go.

All I actually did need to buy were some food items - a mid week top up shop, and possibly some storage canisters and a cutting board for the kitchen, which we are currently redecorating.

I should have known it wasn't a good idea when I got out of the house and realised that the bus stop at the end of the street was closed due to gas works.  I knew this, as I walk past it every day, but it didn't occur to me when I decided to get the bus.  Anyway, I had to walk up the high street for quite a while to the next stop and of course a bus came in that time and I was way too far from the stop to catch it. In fact I ended up walking two bus stops further on to catch the bus which came shortly after I got there.

I got on the bus.  It had a particularly unpleasant smell. It got diverted and then I eventually got to the mall. By this time I was already thinking 'why did I bother?'. Anyway, I went straight to TKMAXX to look for kitchenware. The weather dramatically worsened, it started raining and the wind started blowing shop signs around.  I began to think it was a message from you know who.

Maybe it was, there was nothing in TKMAXX that appealed to me. I contemplated buying a £20 sleeping bag for LB's Duke of Edinburgh expedition next month, but resisted only to receive a call from her later to say she'd found one in the CS during her shift for £7 and was going to buy it.

Next I hit M&S.  I had some vouchers I'd received as a shareholder.  I looked in the homewares and was strongly tempted by some storage jars, but the spend wouldn't have met the required amount on the voucher and I didn't want to buy extra things for the sake of it. I walked away. Besides, the colours weren't quite right.  I tried on a sports bra, that looked awful. In the end it was down to the food hall to buy the bits we needed and use at least one of the vouchers burning a hole in my purse.

Once I'd shopped for the food, of course, and spent enough to qualify for using the voucher i.e. £20, the bag that I had to buy to carry it, was not light and I then had to hump it back through the mall, stopping every few yards to give my arms a rest. Grocery shopping by car is so much easier.

I did stop off in Primark and I did buy one item.  A new pack a mac for £9 to wear to work in the summer months. I couldn't find anything else I liked and the only other shop I wanted to go to in the mall, H & M, I was just too exhausted to make the effort to get to it.

I couldn't even be bothered to go to the cafĂ© in John Lewis and use another voucher for a free cup of tea and a cake, which was another intention.  Instead I just headed back for the bus, missed another one just as I approached the bus stop, then had to wait 10-15 minutes for the next. Nearly fell up the stairs when the bus started moving and eventually got home swearing that I wasn't going to do that again in a hurry.

I may have completely lapsed on the Buy Nothing New front this year, (you might have noticed that the posts have stopped - it was a step too far for me), but my desire to purchase new stuff is definitely waning. I guess sometimes, I just need a reminder that I'm really not missing out on anything by not going shopping and I certainly got it.

5 comments:

  1. Try and have a nice project for times when you feel like this, I get my sewing machine out, check my stash and then make myself something, the feeling at the end is just as good. I make shopping bags, which is a laugh as I am shopping less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I probably should do something like that, but sometimes the itch gets the better of me.

      Delete
  2. Well isn't that just typical! Everything conspired against you, but it is good to have such a reminder that shopping isn't always fun.

    If it makes you feel any better, I ended up buying something on Wednesday. I had liked some pans we had at the cs, they didn't all sell over the weekend so the manager set the remaining pair aside for me. I was so pleased as my pans are not great and the new ones are Stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made up for it the next day when I stopped in at a local charity shop. Haul coming soon!!

      Delete
  3. That itch is something I know so well!!!! I wish I could resist! What a series of events to conspire against you though!x

    ReplyDelete