Friday 8 December 2017

Errand Day

After a couple of busy days working at the CS whilst the Manager was away, today, I had a day off and decided to make it my Errand Day for the week.  I thought I might need to work in the afternoon, but I just about I managed to secure enough volunteer for my fellow Deputy to keep the shop open without me, so, as a consequence, I was pleased to have some free time.

LB was off school, as she'd been unwell overnight, after eating something out of date bought from a local shop.  As I write, OH is on his way back there to complain.

Before I could set out on my errands, I spent most of the morning at home, looking out for her and doing other small jobs, whilst OH took the car for it's MOT and did his various errands. 


I used the time constructively by catching up with Sophia on YouTube and listening to her tell her very poignant story of what it was like to live in New York at the time of 9/11, amongst other things. A sad story at this time of year, but one that makes you stop and think, as well as one that we probably all need to be reminded of from time to time.

When OH got back (MOT went well thankfully), I headed out to do my errands. I had some parcels to take to the Post Office to return some items I'd ordered to ASOS. The plus side of this, was that my expenditure on myself last month will be reduced, as some of the items I'd ordered I decided weren't for me, for one reason or another. My credit card bill should now be lower this coming month, as a result of the refunds I should receive, which is all good.  I bought some stamps whilst there, to send off my Christmas cards, once I've actually written them. (Not my favourite job, but I'm trying to be organised and pro-active).

As I'm working tomorrow, I decided to do a grocery shop today, so I wrote a shopping list in preparation and made a weekly meal plan for next week, to make sure I get everything we need for the week. This will free me up on Sunday and Monday to finish any Xmas shopping and keep on top of the house before returning to work on Tuesday next week.

I did most of the shopping bar a few items and then had to head home as it was gridlock on the roads due a very nasty incident that had caused one of the roads to be closed off for further examinations. It meant crazy, crazy traffic everywhere, as it was a main route out of Central London that was affected. I was glad to get home.

I'm trying hard to make the most of any free time I get and keep on top of things at home, which is difficult sometimes.  Every small achievement feels big at the moment.  Getting the tree up and decorations up felt huge, especially when I'm tired after work. I now know how hard it is for working mums, who have been doing this for years.  I've had it easy by comparison, staying home to raise LB. Everyone has different circumstances and it's good to see life from another's point of view sometimes.








4 comments:

  1. Oh I remember how exhausting it was being a working Mum. Breaks and lunch hours spent scouring the shops for the gifts and food so that days off could be spent at home catching up on housework.
    Boy am I glad that I don't have to do it now.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wonder how I managed to cope when I was working full time. Sure the boys were grown up and out of the house, but still time constraints pulled at me

    Glad you had a bit of time to get things done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working and keeping house is hard enough - adding Christmas in to that makes it near impossible to keep up with everything. I just do my best and hope for the best.
    I have been reading along with your last few posts - sorry for the lack of comments - time is in short supply at the moment! My tree still in the garage! Like your Charity shop buys - I love old patterns it reminds me when I worked for New look / Maudella patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting that you worked for a pattern company.

      Delete