Monday 4 December 2017

A Little Splurge at the Local CS

On Thursday of last week, I had a day off and popped to the gym to catch a class in the morning.  On returning to the car, I realised that I wouldn't be going anywhere, as a scaffolding lorry was stationery in the middle of the street where I'd parked and was blocking my exit.

As a consequence, I decided to pop into a nearby charity shop to wait it out. It was one of my old haunts.  I don't go in very often these days, but I often stop to look in the window when I'm passing whilst walking the dog.

Anyway, I went in and spent a lovely half hour wandering around the shop.  I didn't spend too much, but you know me, it's hard for me to come out empty handed once I've entered.  I didn't actually have any cash on me and the minimum spend on a card was £5, so I'm afraid I spent £5.75, but I don't regret it as all of the things I bought were lovely and quite unique. 

So, here goes with a little CS haul:



First this Vogue pattern for making 8 different bags jumped out at me.  It is complete and unused and at 75p was a complete steal.  The bag that appealed to me was the one that is knotted in the picture at the bottom.  So simple to make, it reminded me of the Japanese art of wrapping with fabric, Furoshiki and I thought it might be a simple way to use some of the fabric in my stash.  We'll see.



The next item that caught my eye was this black wool cape. (It looks grey in this picture, but is in fact black or very dark grey) It seems to be minus it's hood, as there are buttons on the back for one, but it didn't have one.  Anyway I tried it on over a big sweater  with a big snood and really liked it.  Ideal for days when I don't want to wear a big heavy coat.  This could also be folded up easily and put in a bag if I want to peel back layers. At £3.50 this was a bargain too.



To make up the £5 I also bought this patch for LB, which goes perfectly with some trainers I bought her for Christmas.  I think she'll like it and for 50p it's not a big gamble.



Finally, I saw this little or maybe not so little pure wool brooch on the counter for £1.  It was brand new and perfect to pop on my new cape. It was made in Orkney, Scotland.  How adorable.

A lovely little haul, even if I so say so myself. I just need to be careful not to get hooked again.

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous haul.
    I rarely find anything much to interest me in the local charity shops but I did this last weekend.....a huge pile of sewing magazines for £5. They are oldish but have lots of useful stuff in them so I am over the moon.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I didn't spend a lot, but was pleased with what I did buy.

      Delete
  2. The cape and the brooch are lovely. You did get a very nice haul.

    You should be able to use much of your fabric stash making some of those bags.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a useful haul. I also like the look of the knotted bag, please show us should you make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, I can't give you any idea of when it will be though.

      Delete
  4. A well spent half an hour! I like the items you've bought at the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for dropping by and for your lovely comment.

      Delete