Friday 11 December 2015

Peppermint Coconut Oil for Oil Pulling



Since watching this video on Youtube a few weeks ago, on the subject of oil pulling, I decided to give it a go.  I'd never heard of oil pulling, but apparently it is an ancient Indian detoxification technique, that has been carried out for thousands of years. It didn't altogether appeal at first, as I wasn't sure that I liked the taste of coconut oil, however, after giving it a go, the taste wasn't too bad.

Then when I attended the Ideal Home Exhibition, I came across a product on sale that was a minty version of coconut oil, used for the same purpose.  It gave me the idea to try to make some minty coconut oil myself to use for oil pulling.

I scooped a few teaspoons of culinary coconut oil into a little cosmetic pot, melted it in a bain marie and then added a few drops of peppermint extract to it and stirred it in well.  I then left it to harden and taking a teaspoon at a time, began oil pulling with it.

Basically, the coconut oil is supposed to be good for extracting harmful bacteria from between the teeth when you push it through the gaps and gargle with it, thus helping to minimise plaque build up, and it is supposedly good for the health of the gums and oral mucosa and can help whiten the teeth.

I'm more than happy to give it a try, especially with the treatment I've been having lately, but it is best to do it before brushing your teeth and you don't need to do it every day.  I think I'm going to do it maybe once or twice a week and see if it makes a difference.

Making my first batch, I didn't add much peppermint extract, as I'd read that a little went a long way, but to be honest, I couldn't taste it all that well, so when I make it again, I may add a bit more.

Here's a picture of the batch I made cooling.




Have you ever oil pulled?






4 comments:

  1. I have heard about oil pulling but never done it. Please post about the results, good, bad or indifferent.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Jackie, although after just a couple of times doing it, it is hard to tell if it is actually doing anything positive.

      Delete
  2. I never done it myself but a lot of people swear by it. Although those same people swear by a lot of things I wouldn't necessarily agree with so I'm interested to hear your review when you've done it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only done it a couple of times so far and I can't say I love the process, but if it has benefits, I might be inclined to continue. I'll post again when I've done it some more.

    ReplyDelete