Tuesday 1 December 2015

Getting Tough on Stuff in 2015 - November

Up until last weekend, I hadn't really done too well this month, in this decluttering and donating 1000 things in a year challenge, that I set myself at the beginning of the year, having found only another 18 items to donate.

That was until LB decided to have another sort out in her room and created a big pile of books to go for donation.  A whopping 54 to be precise, which bumped  up the total to 72. This sounded far more respectable. I guess almost being a teenager, her taste in books is changing very rapidly and she's now moving into more grown up genres, so many of the donated books are ones that have been completely outgrown.

Her clearout spurred me on and I found a few pillowcases in the linen cupboard that no longer go with any of the bed linen we now have, so they got put on the pile.  An old Christmas themed tin I used to keep my cards in got added too and a pile of magazines were put aside for taking to the doctor's surgery at some point in the near future.

The final monthly total of items for donation in November now stands at 87,  which when added to the yearly total so far of 1171, this means I've now reached a yearly total to date of 1258.

With just December left of this year, I can't see too much more leaving the house, but I am seriously thinking of continuing with this challenge next year, but with a slightly less ambitious target   of 500 items, to account for the inevitable slowing down after a major year of purging. I find it does motivate me to keep on with the process and not rest on my laurels allowing things to build up again.

Does anyone fancy joining me in the challenge next year?

6 comments:

  1. I think everyone in our village must be doing this with the amount of donations coming into the shop !

    ( sadly it's more a case of clearing the belongings of a loved one )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that must be difficult to do, but at least you are helping them to find a new home for everything and making money for your charity at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I had a huge sort out in the past two years, and more importantly not replaced much, it does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It makes life easier as you don't have to waste time searching through stuff to find what you want or need.

      Delete
  3. You've done really well, congratulations for hitting your target. We've had a lot of donations of toys into the shop this week, one lady even said "clearing it out before more comes in". I think that says it all.

    We really need to get the garage cleared and I would like to keep on top of the amount of things coming into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a bit like that with the toys although thankfully we're through that as LB doesn't really do toys anymore. It's more technology and clothes these days.

      I need to tackle our shed. It's been on my list all year but I haven't been able to face it. There's a lot of LB's baby stuff in there and it's the emotional side of it that I find difficult. I'll try in the spring now when the weather gets better.

      Delete