Wednesday 16 December 2015

Another Tuesday Christmas Fest

I've been loving Tuesday evenings for the last two weeks.  They have been my secret little Christmas indulgence, when I've watched Christmas orientated TV programmes. Last night, it was Britain's Craziest Christmas Lights, followed by another episode of Kirstie's Handmade Christmas and I finished the night watching a programme called The World's Most Expensive Christmas. (I do love to see how the other half live sometimes, but in this instance, I have to admit that it left me feeling a little depressed at the extremes of wealth in our country today)

You can't, however, beat a bit of festive programming for getting the festive spirit flowing and I was even inspired to make a seasonal paper chain whilst I watched Kirstie attempting yet more Christmas crafts. Nothing too sophisticated for me as usual.

The first programme reassured me that there are completely bonkers people out there prepared to spend their own money to raise cash for charity, spread festive cheer and entertain others in their neighbourhood at Christmas.

The latter programme, however, I found to be obscene in the extreme and I couldn't even begin, nor wish, to imagine having the sort of wealth depicted and then spending it on such ostentatious bling. (And no, I'm not bitter and jealous, it just seems like such a waste of precious resources, but each to their own).

Returning to the subject of a normal person's Christmas, I do have to admit to sneaking a peak at Simply Nigella's Christmas Special on Monday night too, followed by Supershoppers Do Christmas, which was interesting.  Especially the bit where they made their own perfume from essential oils and vodka. I may give making a very small bottle a try, as I don't really want to waste good drinkable alcohol in case it doesn't smell too good and isn't wearable.  It's style was just about as far as you could possibly get from last night's programme, but I much preferred it's down to earth, money saving focus.

Can you tell that I'm struggling to get Christmassy this year and having to resort to binge Christmas TV watching?  I love Christmas, but the grinch has definitely got a hold on me this year and it isn't really happening for me just yet.  There's still time though, so who knows.

6 comments:

  1. It is a different world the rich live in, some was good and we loved the end with the beautiful dressed house, hope the owners get there to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is a different world and I don't resent them having the priviledges that wealth brings. I really just find some of the excesses a bit vulgar and wasteful.

      Delete
    2. What I forgot to add is that in some cases they seem to be egged on by people out to profit from their wealth.

      Delete
  2. Now that we are actually getting snow and the temperature is dropping I am beginning to feel a bit more Christmasy.

    We have some excesses in our extended family when it comes to Christmas and I often wonder if they realize how vulgar their spending habits are.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about Kirstie, I should have set the planner as we were out and about this week. I'll have to look for it on catch up. I don't particularly like the crafts featured this year, some are a bit ott for me but it's a nice show full of happiness so that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, it is a kind of feel good show though, so worth a watch.

      Delete