Tuesday 3 March 2015

February Favourites

I'm starting a new series of posts on a monthly basis which will incorporate my favourite household, beauty, fashion purchases from the month.  Some months these may be very thin on the ground, and others slightly thicker if you know what I mean.This month there were a few, on account of my treating myself to a few things whilst we were on holiday.  So here goes.



The first item in my favourites this month was this watch.  My moderately expensive Swatch watch stopped working a few months ago after four years of use, and seems to have gone totally kaput.  I was using a watch of Little Bird's, which had several different interchangeable coloured straps and this was serving it's purpose, but at least two of the straps broke and one discoloured with use, so when I saw this one on the flight out to Tenerife for just 13 euros, I couldn't resist it.  It goes with everything I wear, being black and the strap is a lovely soft rubbery material, as opposed to the hard, stiff plastic straps of Little Bird's watch, making it super comfortable to wear and not so brittle and easily breakable.

I can't live without a watch, I'm just one of those people who need one and I've decided that I'm happy to wear inexpensive watches from now on.  In addition, I like a sporty over-sized look, so this was just perfect and I'm super happy with it.

Favourite number two was also purchased on a flight, but this was the flight home from Tenerife.  I had about 9 euros left of the money I took with me and I had spotted this item in the inflight magazine on the flight out, so I made a mental note and promised myself if I had enough money left, I would buy it. It's a Gosh eyebrow palette. 


Normally, I simply use a semi-dried mascara to colour my eyebrows, but having seen a few beauty vloggers using various products on their eyebrows, I was interested to have a go myself with a purpose made eyebrow product, so I purchased this one.  It comes in a lovely compact with a mirror and brush/foam applicator, which is handy for travel or using on the move.





It has three different shades of brown powder that you can use depending on how dark you want your brows to look.  You apply these with the foam pad applicator and then over the top you apply the clear wax with the brush end to secure the colour in place.  I find it gives my eyebrows a more groomed appearance and I'm very happy with the results.

My next February favourite is this bedside reading light from IKEA. I've been needing a new bedside lamp for ages, as the one I have been using is easily knocked off the bedside table and the light isn't too bright, which isn't ideal for reading in bed, which tends to be the only place I read books. When I saw this in IKEA on a recent visit for just £11 I just had to buy it. 


It is a perfectly simple design with a bendy arm, that can be easily adjusted to cast light where you need it and the light is lovely and bright. Better still it can be clipped to the shelf next to my bed, so no knocking it over.  I love it. I'm thinking of getting OH one for his side of the bed too when I next go back to the store.  It comes in a variety of colours, but white was the most suited to our decor.

This next favourite isn't something that I bought in February, but I've included it in February favourites as I have been using it quite a bit this last month.  It is this navy leather tote bag from Gap.


It's a very simple design and is great for throwing lots of things in when you need a slightly larger bag. I tend to wear quite a lot of navy in the summer, so when I saw it on sale for £26 I found it very hard to walk away and it is proving to be a great addition to my wardrobe. 

It has a small zipped compartment inside, into which you can tuck your purse, phone or valuables, which is very useful, as this bag doesn't close securely and I am aware that anyone in a crowd, could just reach in and grab my purse, if the pocket wasn't there to use and keep it secure.  In addition, it makes it easy to find it when you need it, especially if the bag is full.

Finally,  my last monthly favourite is something that OH purchased for me at the beginning of the month. Well, not just for me, but for all of us to use.  It is this bike.


I was having difficulty with the gears on my old bike and had just about stopped using it altogether, but this bike couldn't be more different.  It is a hybrid cycle, has three simple gears, is so simple and easy to ride, very lightweight and great for cycling about town and to the gym.

It was in the sale at the newly opened Halfords cycle store in Euston and was probably the cheapest bike they had in the shop, if I'm honest.  I've only been out once on it so far and I really enjoyed riding it, but the very same day, one day after I got it, there was a fatal cycling incident near to where I live and it has made me a bit nervous about getting back on my bike.  I do intend to get back out there though and ride it more often when the weather improves.  I love it.  Thank you OH.

It's been a really great month for me in terms of finding some really lovely, reasonably priced practical items that I will use every day and which will make my life a little bit simpler and easier.

4 comments:

  1. Love the bag. And great getting a bike in time for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I do intend to get back in the saddle soon. I need the extra exercise. The new bike should really help.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your bike. I wanted just a simple bike and ended up with one that had 10 gears. It was a nightmare for me to ride!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was like my old one and I could only ever used one gear. This one is like the bikes I used to ride as a child. Rides like a dream.

      Delete