Saturday 24 August 2013

Settling Back In

After my post the other day where I was feeling a little deflated by being back from our holidays, yesterday I started to feel a bit more settled and pleased to be back in my own home.  Getting properly unpacked helped, as did doing a food shop to refill the fridge and freezer. 

When I got to the till in Asda, I started an Asda Savings Card to help towards saving for Christmas, and rounded up the balance of my shopping to the nearest £10 adding this sum to the card.  It was a small step and one that I had read about on frugalmummy's blog A Beautiful Life, and which I thought was a really good idea.  Now I just have to make sure that I shop at Asda as much as I can between now and Christmas, but I do keep acquiring vouchers to do my weekly shop at a couple of other supermarkets at the moment and save a few pounds, so I might not get as much put on the card as I would like.  Still, it gets me into the habit of doing it, so that next year it will be second nature.

The rest of my day has been taken up with catching up on computer and paperwork, post and financial matters as much as possible.  I'm always relieved to see that my bank account hasn't been defrauded or my email hacked into, both of which have happened in the past, making me slightly paranoid in this regard.  Anyway, all was well so I was a happy bunny and I still had enough money, just about, to get through the rest of this month.  I was glad that I was able to keep up to scratch with reading the blogs I follow on Other Half's phone whilst away as catching up with that would have been a major endeavour and I don't like to miss anything.

I managed to exchange a school uniform skirt I had bought for Little Bird a while ago whilst out shopping today.  I bought one which she didn't like and managed to exchange it for one that she liked better.  I'll say no more.   At least she has a complete uniform(bar the shoes), to start the new school term.  I will need to go out and shop for these and a couple of other items in the days before school starts.

Next week will be about taking time to do a few things with Little Bird in what is left of the school holidays, plus getting on with a number of other jobs.  There is a film (about One Direction) that Little Bird would like to see (and which I will probably enjoy!) and a possible trip to the fruit farm in the pipeline, to stock up on sweetcorn for use over the winter, not to mention work to do on the allotment, the ironing and various other items on my to do list.  In addition, I am hoping to get back to the gym and do as many of my usual classes as I can get booked onto, although I am very pleased to report that I didn't put on any weight during our holiday, which was both a great relief and an even bigger surprise.

4 comments:

  1. We are going through a massive financial over hall right now so I can empathise with what you say. Currently living from the freezer food which has been stacking up for months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is necessary to have a good clear out both financially and in terms of things in your home and freezer and start from a new more organised place. I think it helps us feel a little more in control. Good luck with your financial overhaul. I'm sure you'll feel a lot happier as a consequence.

      Delete
  2. Good to get back into a routine after a holiday though it takes a few days.

    No school uniform buying for me though I had to order uniform for Joe's Health & Fitness course & he will need new trainers. Also had to set up a payment plan for his bus pass - at nearly £500 wasn't going to pay in one go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh no, that's quite expensive. Is it for the year?

      Delete