Wednesday 17 April 2013

Getting Back on the Fitness Wagon

Well after two weeks of virtually no exercise, save walking the dog, I got straight back to the gym this Monday morning to start trying to lose the few pounds I've gained in the Easter Holidays.  It felt so good to go to a Zumba class and get sweaty and tired.  I also returned later that same day for another Aerobics class, whilst my daughter had her trampolining lesson.  I've got all my classes booked for the week now and I am looking forward to getting back to normal again.  My time away from exercise has had the desired effect and I am back feeling enthusiastic and ready to embrace it again.  Sometimes I think that my mind and body both benefit from a rest from classes so that they don't become too repetitive and unchallenging.

Now the weather has picked up, and it is a bit sunnier, I am going to try to cycle the 10 mile round trip to the gym at least once a week, maybe on a Wednesday, (I didn't manage it today though), when I have no weekly shop to do.  The extra 40 minutes of exercise makes a big difference, especially in terms of toning thighs.  Luckily the route is mainly through parks and along canal paths, so it isn't too treacherous, save for other cyclists flying past at high speed on their way to work. 

I must admit that I do tend to pootle a little, which I imagine can be a little frustrating should anyone be stuck behind me.  The bell on your bicycle comes in really handy when you get behind a cyclist like me.  It is common practice to ring twice when you approach the rear of another cyclist and intend to overtake, to let them know you are there.  The same two rings are made when you approach an overhead bridge tunnel and can't see if any other cyclists or pedestrians are approaching from the opposite direction.  It is interesting to note that before some bridges, give way markings have been painted on the canal path to encourage cyclists to  stop and prevent them flying into the tunnel and colliding with pedestrians or other users.

I must admit that when I first started riding my bike along the canal paths of East London I was most affronted by other cyclists ringing their bells at me, but now I understand the cycling etiquette I realise that it is nothing personal and just for safety and courtesy.  That's okay then.

No comments:

Post a Comment